Young geese getting out of the house!

MikelJohn

Songster
11 Years
Feb 12, 2008
Abbeville, LA
I am down in extreme south Louisiana. I was just wondering when is a good time for geese to get out of the house and into the chicken yard. They will not fit in the brooder! I have only had them a couple of weeks but they look older than 2 weeks! About 10 inches tall. And they make a big mess and are about to eat me out of house and home! They eat any and everything! But you just gotta love em! Ihave some young mallards also. When I can I put them out? What kind of temps can they handle? What size bulb in the brooder? Thanks for any help. I'm just an amateur.
smile.png

You can put geese out now if it's not droppping below 40 at night. But, at that age, they will be very vulnerable to predators. I've had great horned owls kill geese which were bigger than some dogs. So, I would get them trained to "go to bed" at night in some protected area.

Thanks so much for the info....their house is fully enclosed so I shouldn't have to worry about predators. I was thinking about putting them out in the day and take them in at night for the next week and just watch the weather for low temps. But, it's kinda warm down here!

Back
Top Bottom