Young Sunny's Second Egg Laid In Front Of Me

bblynn_chicken

Chirping
Jun 27, 2018
Early this morning, I went to check on my four pullets. I found a special surprise from one of them who is now a hen, and it was a cute little egg! I assumed it was from one of our ISA's but I didn't have a 100% accurate way to figure out. Just thirty minutes ago I went to sit with my girls, and my ISA Sunny was poofing up and hiding her face under my Plymouth, Henrietta. I continued to watch to see what was happening, and then Sunny turned around and looked at me. Within seconds, out came her second egg with a plop! She didn't seem to realize she laid it until she started to walk away and saw it. LOL! All in all, my question here is that is it normal for hens to lay eggs in front of you? This is a rather silly question but I thought it worth asking. Thank you for taking the time to read this and answer!

If you’re patient, then yes! It’s normal if you watch long enough. I’m not very patient and have only seen one egg laid in my two and a half years of chicken keeping. Some hens are private and wait for hens and people to leave. My hen Sophia chases everyone out of the coop before settling down. She actually patrols!

I had one of my girls lay an egg as I was carrying her back to the coop to lay instead of the field next door. That surprised me! She looked disgusted that I had disturbed her laying. LOL! Most of mine like to hide and not be seen laying.

Early this morning, I went to check on my four pullets. I found a special surprise from one of them who is now a hen, and it was a cute little egg! I assumed it was from one of our ISA's but I didn't have a 100% accurate way to figure out. Just thirty minutes ago I went to sit with my girls, and my ISA Sunny was poofing up and hiding her face under my Plymouth, Henrietta. I continued to watch to see what was happening, and then Sunny turned around and looked at me. Within seconds, out came her second egg with a plop! She didn't seem to realize she laid it until she started to walk away and saw it. LOL! All in all, my question here is that is it normal for hens to lay eggs in front of you? This is a rather silly question but I thought it worth asking. Thank you for taking the time to read this and answer!
Pullets are not hens until they are one year old. ;)

New layers don't have much control over laying at first.
Do you have nests ready for them?

It's not common for two shelled eggs to laid in one day.
I'm guessing one of your other pullets laid the first egg.
Here's how to tell....
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

Pullets are not hens until they are one year old. ;)

New layers don't have much control over laying at first.
Do you have nests ready for them?

It's not common for two shelled eggs to laid in one day.
I'm guessing one of your other pullets laid the first egg.
Here's how to tell....
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/
I was assuming that she had laid that egg the previous day for I was away and didn't get to check on them that day. But thank you anyways, I will be checking to see if maybe I have two laying! (Also another thanks about them still being pullets, Tractor Supply mistold me LOL)

If you’re patient, then yes! It’s normal if you watch long enough. I’m not very patient and have only seen one egg laid in my two and a half years of chicken keeping. Some hens are private and wait for hens and people to leave. My hen Sophia chases everyone out of the coop before settling down. She actually patrols!
Thank you! I was concerned because my Grandmother told me a watched hen doesn't lay unless she's sick. Now I know!

Thank you! I was concerned because my Grandmother told me a watched hen doesn't lay unless she's sick. Now I know!
Ehh....maybe, depends on how used to you being around they are.
I have seen quite a few eggs emerge with the back access door to my nest bank and my bird being used to me opening it while they are in there. If you catch them standing just as it's about to come out, they are kind of in a trance and won't bolt.

full

Back
Top Bottom