Your not sick of me yet, give me time!

Coopnrun

Songster
6 Years
Jan 25, 2018
Central Arkansas
Hello from a newbie. I'm so new that at this point I have zero chickens. My title on this thread relates to the fact that I have LOTS of questions.

I'm retired and have been kicking around raising some chickens for the eggs and hopeing to get a docile breed that my grandkids can safely be around. I've been studying various coop designs on Internet and this forum and have a good idea of what I'll build, starting today.

Wife and I enjoy volunteering at local State Parks, Rv travel and our seven grandkids! Our chicken ranch is bordered by one of our sons cattle ranch so we'll trade off taking care of each other's kritters, I think he'll get the better part of that deal, but I help him a lot anyway.

My fist silly question, if I build a coop attached to a secure (from predators) run. Do I need to close the chickens up in the coop every night?

Hello and welcome to BYC

I always left my pop door to the run open. The chickens could then roost when they wished, and eat and drink similarly (useful in the summer when day breaks early)

Here’s a link to the Articles section - https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/ There you’ll find lots of information on almost every aspect of keeping chickens - from coop building ideas, to incubating eggs.

There’s a link on the page above to the Learning Centre - it’s a great resource. If you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

Each week, various topics are discussed, which can also be a great resource - https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archive

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - Find Your State Thread

Best wishes

Pork Pie

Hello there and welcome to BYC! :frow

We all had a ton of questions at the beginning of this journey. Your birds, once you get them, will have you trained up in no time. ;)

I have an attached run on my coop. Love it! If you are 110% sure its predator proof, you wouldn't HAVE to lock them in the coop each night. Especially on hot summer nights. If you live where there is a lot of winter, you would want to close them in so they could retain heat. Wind and drafts suck the heat right out of the birds. You don't want snow blowing in either. I am sure my run is 200% predator proof, however I sleep better at night knowing they are safely locked up in the coop every night of the year.

Good luck on this new journey. Welcome to our roost! :)

Greetings and welcome to BYC! So glad you joined us. There's a wealth of info, knowledge and experience shared in the multitude of threads. Browse around and see what interesting stuff you can find. By all means post away when the desire strikes you, especially if you have questions (provide as much detail/info as possible and pictures truly help)... With all the great folks here, generally someone will respond in no time at all. Please make yourself at home!

Nice to be able to travel, and if your grand kids are anything like mine, they will LOVE the chickens! Mine love all animals. They hang out with the goats the most. I guess it's cause I have them to almost being like pet dogs. :lau

Oh, if you haven't done so already, PLEASE put at least your general location in your profile. It could be very important if/when you ask for or offer help or advice. You know, climate issues and such. Old folks like me :old will never remember from this thread. To add it, mouse hover over Account top right and a drop down will appear. Click on Personal Details and scan down. You'll see the spot for Location. Then go to the bottom and save changes.

Back
Top Bottom