Zipping length

It doesn't really look like it's zipping yet, to me- 18 hours isn't too long for the pipping stage.
Is that a bruise on the shell around the pip? It looks like the shell is darker there.
@New duck mommy 2021 is very knowledgeable with hatching, I'm sure she can give her opinion/advice if around

But for now I'd recommend sitting tight, watching and waiting- it's normal for ducklings to take their time!
I think it was zipping just got stuck. And no bruising, just the shadow of the fan up top. But unfortunately I believe we lost this duck. Not quite sure what to do now

I'm very sorry. Did the baby still have the yolk sac attached?
We didn’t fully take off the membrane because we were kind of hoping for some kinda of miracle that he would wake up and finish the job in the incubator. Do you think we should fully take it off and check?

Can you take a picture so we can see how much you broke off?
Just now my hatched duck decide to rest on it. But I have peeled off all the shell but the the bottom of the egg (pointy side). You can see the little whole where he broke through on his own

Attachments

• IMG_9464.jpeg
    IMG_9464.jpeg
    293.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_9465.jpeg
    IMG_9465.jpeg
    253.1 KB · Views: 3
When did he make the first pip ?
After 24 hours of first pip if they are making a big hole in one spot I would candle the egg looking for veins
If the egg is clear I make the zip for them
If I see red in the veins they aren’t ready but with a bigger hole I will up my humidity to 75-80 even 85 this keeps that membrane from drying and causing them to not move
Usually 24-48 hours after first pip they will hatch
But I had one with a very big air cell they hatched 8 hours after zip
I happened to see it pip
8 hours later went to see if it made the second hit but found it zipping
The amount of time after external depends how long they were internal ( air cell size makes the call )
I would check the baby ti make sure he is alive
If not I would remove him

Back
Top Bottom