17th century Dutch queen's soup. (Paleo)

Loopeend

Crowing
Jun 12, 2018
I tried this recipe and I was pleasently suprised! Now a days this famous Dutch soup is made with peas and carrots; absolutely different than the 17th century version! The ingredïents sound weird but it comes perfectly together. So I would like to share it for you that love to try out weird suprising recipes. :)

koninginnesoep.jpg

Ingredients:
- 4 chickenlegs (or other poultry, or a whole little chicken)
- 0,260 gallon or 1 liter broth (preferably poultry)
- 2 bayleaves
- 2 cloves
- Bouquet garni from parsly, thime and chives.
- 0,130 gallon or 0,5 liter almondmilk (or cream if you can handle milkproducts)
- 9 ounce or 250 gram mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon lemonjuice
- 2 tablespoons of unsalted pistachio nuts
- 1 pomegranate

Instructions:
Cook the chickenlegs together with the bouquet garni, cloves and bayleaves in the broth, until done. Keep the lid on.
Set aside the cooked chickenlegs and sift the soup.
Remove the skin from the chickenlegs, and take the meat off the bones. Mince the meat together with the mushrooms, be sure to set some nice pieces of meat apart as garnish.
Add the minced meat and mushrooms to the soup, and let is cook for 5 minutes.
Set your stove to low, and add the almondmilk and lemonjuice. Reheat the soup untill it allmost reaches it's cooking point.
Before serving, garnish the soup with the pieces of meat you have set aside, the pistachio nuts and the arils from the pomegranate.

Tip:
In the 17th century they also garnished the soup with the comb of a rooster, as a crown for this nobel soup. I couldn't find one, so there is none on the picture. :p

Back
Top Bottom