3 week old Lavender Pekin (cochin bantam) cockerel or pullet

Jmabdoo

In the Brooder
Mar 30, 2017
Michigan
All chicks pictured are 3 weeks old.

We got our one day old chicks at tsc on March 10th. All were sold as pullets except the two bantams, Bleu and Dumpling. Dumpling is a silver sebring and has a rose comb, so there is like no way to tell if she's a she or not yet.. at least I don't think there is. She has no real sign of a comb yet.

Bleu is our lavender pekin, who is feathering at a slower rate than all of our other chicks and has a comb that I feel is almost double the size of the normal sized chicks besides maybe the barred rock. She does not have noticeable waddles as of yet. I know it's a little early to tell right now, but ive become obsessed with figuring out what sex this little one is as he/she is my favorite chick. She looks more scraggly than the others as well and her back and tail feathers dont seem like they're even close to coming in as fast as the others. Might just be breed differences, ive never raised chicks from day old though. Had a few pullets, but they were given to us at 10 weeks of age. If anyone is able to help, it would be greatly appreciated. :)

This is Nugget, our Golden sex link.

Marsala, our barred rock. She has a little bit of a bigger comb, but if I am understanding correctly, the roos have a greyed color. Is she a definite she?

This is dumpling, the other bantam. Silver sebring. Wouldn't stay still long enough for a face photo, but this shows how much feathering she has.

The other girls were moving around too much to get a good picture today. We have a black sex link,jammy, and buff orphington, biscuit, as well.

Last edited:
Also, the only breed I have now that I have had before is the buff orphington, I am very new to this breed

Last edited:
Marsala may be a pullet, what color legs does she have? Generally the females have a dark wash over their legs while the male will have yellow legs. The males are usually grayer instead of black and have wider white bands. The females have black with narrow white bands. But these are NOT absolute gender traits. Ever expert breeders can be fooled till they area few months old.

Cochin bantams mature fast,so both sexes may show comb early but the females doesn't turn RED until she is close to laying. You can also post their photos at "what breed or gender is this." Please mention age at time of photo for each chick. Age is a very important factor.

PS I have been making colossal typos since I started on here many hours ago. Have to smack the hands to get them to work properly. I knew you didn't mean 'sewing.'

Thank you for you input and advice! :)

All of the chicks are 3 weeks old in these picture, just shown at different angles. I shouldve been more specific, thank you! I edited it to show their ages.

Last edited:
Marsalas legs are a yellow with grey/black in the front to. They get darker as she gets older. Lol I just joined the site and im figuring out how this all works, so im sorry if everything seems all mixed up.

welcome-byc.gif

Posting their pictures on the forum redsoxs gave you a link for is probably your best bet for feedback on their genders.

Best of luck to you and thanks for joining us!

G’Day from down under Jmabdoo
frow.gif
Welcome!

I only really have experience with Pekins and I agree that Bleu is looking like a boy but please do not make any decisions based on that, I get it wrong even with my own chicks
wink.png

As suggested, the folks on the Gender Forum are your best bet.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share more pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out
big_smile.png

G’Day from down under Jmabdoo  :frow  Welcome!

I only really have experience with Pekins and I agree that Bleu is looking like a boy but please do not make any decisions based on that, I get it wrong even with my own chicks ;)

As suggested, the folks on the Gender Forum are your best bet.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member.  There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. 

If you would like to share more pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place.  BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out :D

I am excited to be apart of the community! Thank you! I definitely plan on posting more and keeping up with updates as they get older. :) I was looking up pictures before even posting this and noticed that pullets have noticeably smaller combs at this age. Even if she is a he, we will be keeping him. We live in the middle of nowhere basically and our only neighbor has no problem with hearing a rooster crow.

Back
Top Bottom