6 month old leghorn pullet violently attacking me worse than rooster

@Purelychicks , are you 100% certain your chicken laid at least one egg?
Pretty dang sure. She has a sister that looks similar to her, but her sister isn’t even interested in the nesting boxes yet, and hasn’t matured to mating yet. I saw one of them pop an egg out, though.. and im like 85% sure it was Bean. (The “bi-polar chicken.”)

Pretty dang sure. She has a sister that looks similar to her, but her sister isn’t even interested in the nesting boxes yet, and hasn’t matured to mating yet. I saw one of them pop an egg out, though.. and im like 85% sure it was Bean. (The “bi-polar chicken.”)

Have you tried checking their butts?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

I find that non-layers are quite different than layers, although there can be some in the middle that I can't sort out. Every male I've ever checked was very clearly not laying, so if "she" seems like a layer it's another very good sign that she is female. If "she" is not laying, then there's the same uncertainty as before, so nothing gained there.

She used to be so sweet and would sit in my lap, eat treats, and follow me everywhere up up til today. Now she’s flogging me, trying to “Spur” me, and making me bleed. She flew up to my face and grabbed my eyelid and I’m now bleeding. I don’t know what’s causing her to act like this someone please help! Is it their “teenage hormones?”
Sounds like a Cockerel to me.

I haven't seen a post asking if she submits to you? I've had my chicks 3 going on 4 yrs now so not an expert but I have had animals of various stripes all my life.
This seems to be a dominance issue. If she doesn't submit to you I would make her and keep doing it until she stops trying to attack you or runs away from you when she sees you, not to be cruel but to set a boundary. You are going to keep her better if she stays away from you and your lap. I'm friends with all my chicks some more than others but they all definitely know I'm boss, but that being said I still never completely trust them, especially near my face after years ago reading about a kid that ended up with permanent eye damage. Good luck!

ps I know you are sure it is a pullet but on the off chance, it's not this should also help solve the problem if turns out to be. My last cockerel was submitted and never once crowed or attacked me in 7 months until I found I home for him. By the way it does not look like a cockerel to me though, either. I have hens who do all the same things to other hens- mounting, herding, all females all laying.

Last edited:
or even a video so those with more experience can see her body language. Sorry you are getting hurt in the meanwhile.

Back
Top Bottom