Adding Bantams to a flock of Standards?

misskes

Songster
5 Years
Jun 15, 2017
I plan on increasing my flock next spring and am toying with the idea of adding 1 to 2 Bantams. My hens are not free range but they do have a large pen that can easily accommodate double what I have now, plus they get weeds/fruits/veggies to occupy them. I'm worried about any Bantams I get being picked on because of their size. I currently have 1 EE, 2 Wyandottes, 1 Leghorn, 1 Buff Orpington & 1 Black Australorp. My girls all get along very well.

I plan on adding 3-5 new chicks, one of which I know for sure will be another EE. I'm debating on another Wyandotte, a Speckled Sussex, a Cream Legbar, a Mille Fleur d'Uccle and possibly an Egyptian Fayoumi. I'm mainly worried about the d'Uccle, and possibly the Fayoumi, being picked on.

Any and all advice is welcome and appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I personally would not add bantams to an established flock of standards. Raising some initially together seems to go okay, but adding them to older birds can become a problem. D'uccle are the size of pigeons. They can hold their own in the correct set up with plenty of room, feeding stations and places to get away, but under confinement could be harassed.

If you decide to go ahead with getting some have a back up plan in case it doesn't work out.

I personally would not add bantams to an established flock of standards. Raising some initially together seems to go okay, but adding them to older birds can become a problem. D'uccle are the size of pigeons. They can hold their own in the correct set up with plenty of room, feeding stations and places to get away, but under confinement could be harassed.

If you decide to go ahead with getting some have a back up plan in case it doesn't work out.

I didn't realize they were quite that small. I might have to just go with the Speckled Sussex instead. It's a shame because they're such beautiful birds.

I didn't realize they were quite that small. I might have to just go with the Speckled Sussex instead. It's a shame because they're such beautiful birds.
They are adorable little chickens, with goofy personalities. They do best with other bantams where they don't have to be afraid. I do keep 3 older d'uccle roosters in the same shed with my large breed flock. They get chased a bit, but can duck under and through fences that the bigger birds can't. My d'uccle hens are in my bantam flock.

Speckled Sussex are an easy going, friendly breed. I haven't owned any fayoumi, so I'm not sure of their personalities.

They are adorable little chickens, with goofy personalities. They do best with other bantams where they don't have to be afraid. I do keep 3 older d'uccle roosters in the same shed with my large breed flock. They get chased a bit, but can duck under and through fences that the bigger birds can't. My d'uccle hens are in my bantam flock.

Speckled Sussex are an easy going, friendly breed. I haven't owned any fayoumi, so I'm not sure of their personalities.

They would definitely be confined but I've heard they're very good fliers. I wonder if I put a roost up high in the pen if that would be a good place for it to "hide out". I'll have to research it more.

They would definitely be confined but I've heard they're very good fliers. I wonder if I put a roost up high in the pen if that would be a good place for it to "hide out". I'll have to research it more.

They still have to come down to eat and drink. That's where you'll see a lot of pecking order stuff happen. Life on a roost all the time isn't natural for chickens so if they are bullied so much that they don't come down to forage or dust bathe, that will be detrimental to their mental and physical well-being, too.

I integrated 2 bantam partridge rocks into my flock of 6 standard rocks and buffs. They are not overly picked on but if you watch them closely you will notice that much of their time and effort is spent staying out of the way of the larger girls. There has got to be an element of stress to that, even if they've grown used to it.

I'm now down to 5 standard hens and the 2 bantam. I've got more nest boxes than I need, multiple roost options in the coop, three food stations and 3 water stations, an elevated platform in the run, a ladder with rungs too small and narrowly spaced for the big girls to use, and a visual barrier to hide behind all so my 2 bantams have options.

They still have to come down to eat and drink. That's where you'll see a lot of pecking order stuff happen. Life on a roost all the time isn't natural for chickens so if they are bullied so much that they don't come down to forage or dust bathe, that will be detrimental to their mental and physical well-being, too.

I integrated 2 bantam partridge rocks into my flock of 6 standard rocks and buffs. They are not overly picked on but if you watch them closely you will notice that much of their time and effort is spent staying out of the way of the larger girls. There has got to be an element of stress to that, even if they've grown used to it.

I'm now down to 5 standard hens and the 2 bantam. I've got more nest boxes than I need, multiple roost options in the coop, three food stations and 3 water stations, an elevated platform in the run, a ladder with rungs too small and narrowly spaced for the big girls to use, and a visual barrier to hide behind all so my 2 bantams have options.

That is very true about having to come down eventually. I'm going to have to really think on it.

I will give you one more opinion on it. Bantams are wonderful little chickens that are often gentle and comical. I have really enjoyed mine. I think in a mixed flock they can't truly be happy because behaviors are a bit different. In my large breed flock disagreements are often settled by fights, and sparing, and there's always some aggressive chasing.

In my bantam flock disagreements are mostly fluff and noise, at least amongst the hens, than everyone gets along, I don't see the same behaviors like I do with the larger breeds. The roosters are actually more prone to fighting than my large breed roosters, and they seem perfectly fine with the bigger breeds.

So in my opinion the bantam hens are probably not as free as they would be amongst chickens their own size as they would be living with larger hens.

Some people have no troubles, and some find out very quickly it was a mistake. I definitely would not have just one bantam. That being said it's your flock and your decision. The joy of chickens is there's no one right way of doing it.

Back
Top Bottom