Another bumblefoot post

DuckmamaJessie

In the Brooder
Sep 10, 2021
Hello! I’m hoping some of you with more experience can help me. I have a duck with a bad case of bumblefoot, that I’m a few days into trying to treat. I’ve been doing epsom baths, applying vetericyn and betadine, and wrapping for three days. Today the scab felt soft enough to pull off, so I did so, but underneath, I did not find the “cottage cheese” like substance I was expecting- I found what appears to my untrained eye to be fairly regular colored tissue (I think), and some blood. Is this normal? I don’t want to just start pulling at this tissue and hurt my bird, and I’m not quite sure what to do next. I’ve done quite a bit of research, and can’t find much info on dealing with a bumblefoot scab this big. Hoping someone here has successfully treated something like this! Attached are photos of before I took of the scab, and after. Clearly the scab is not fully removed, but that bit didn’t pull away as easily, and I don’t expect I’m going to find the “plug” on this thing off to the side where the scab is less prominent anyway.

Attachments

• 949B07D5-1FA0-4ADB-B7D4-B7DF7E567DB0.jpeg
    949B07D5-1FA0-4ADB-B7D4-B7DF7E567DB0.jpeg
    457.4 KB · Views: 100
  • F637A7EA-ADB9-403B-8A5C-53D92778E98F.jpeg
    F637A7EA-ADB9-403B-8A5C-53D92778E98F.jpeg
    422.8 KB · Views: 32
I would recommend using baytril (Enrofloxacin). You can get it at https://allbirdproducts.com/products/enrofloxacin-10 . It can kill the infection inside.

I have not been successful getting the plug out. I use baytril to kill the infection and the rest of the treatment you are currently doing to heal the wound. If it doesn't affect their ability to walk, I haven't tried to get it out. There is always the potential of making it worse cutting into it.

If you want to try to get it out, @Miss Lydia or @Isaac 0 can help you.

I reccomend the Baytril as well.
It is given at a dose of 0.05ml per pound of body weight, orally, twice a day for five straight days. If the duck is laying you will want to avoid eating the eggs for a few weeks to eliminate the chance of antibiotic contamination into your system.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/

Soaking the foot continuously, and applying ointments will eventually help loosen the necrotic tissue you are having such as a hard time getting off. Once off this will hopefully allow new healthy skin growth over the wound site.

My Pekin had a fairly large area of her foot pad involved with bumblefoot. I treated with Baytril (as directed above) and soaked every 24 hours whenever it looked like this. I felt like making sure I kept her foot bandaged and the wound coated in plain antibacterial ointment underneath the bandages was one of the most important efforts I made during her recovery. The only time her foot wasn't bandaged was whenever I was doing her soaks. I did occasionally go every 24 to 48 hours with the soaks but kept the wound slathered in ointment and wrapped. After ever soak, I tried to remove the scab and she had a crater left in her foot pad whenever the bulk of it came out. If this happens, just fill the crater with ointment, wrap the foot and with time, the foot pad returned to normal. Another important thing I learned was to keep her foot dry. After a swim, I changed her bandage, reapplying ointment. I didn't want anything else causing more problems in her wound. The wound looks large, but honestly, it doesn't look much different from my ducks. I wish you the best. You've heard from the wonderful folks that helped me through my ducks foot problems, so I value their input. I just wanted to share my experience. Thanks to them, my girl is still waddling around, coming up on one year later 💜

Edited to add: In the past, I've made the mistake of thinking that the wound was healed "enough" to stop with such aggressive treatment. The wound must be fully and completely healed before you stop treatment or it's going to continue. I would continue to keep that foot bandaged until it's 100% normal again.

I would recommend using baytril (Enrofloxacin). You can get it at https://allbirdproducts.com/products/enrofloxacin-10 . It can kill the infection inside.

I have not been successful getting the plug out. I use baytril to kill the infection and the rest of the treatment you are currently doing to heal the wound. If it doesn't affect their ability to walk, I haven't tried to get it out. There is always the potential of making it worse cutting into it.

If you want to try to get it out, @Miss Lydia or @Isaac 0 can help you.
Thank you for the recommendation! I’ve been using doxycycline, which I had on hand. Do you know if enrofloxacin would be a better option?

Thank you for the recommendation! I’ve been using doxycycline, which I had on hand. Do you know if enrofloxacin would be a better option?
Doxycycline can be used to treat it. Enrofloxacin tends to be the antibiotic of choice. If you find the doxycycline doesn't help, I would switch to the Enrofloxacin then. Even if the infection inside is dead, it can still take a bit of time for the skin to heal. In my experience, the tissue where the is mass will start to soften if the antibiotic is working.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom