Any Home Bakers Here?

I need to do dairy free, lactose free still upsets my tummy, but I ate a whole bowl of this earlier and nothing!
I wonder what sets you off? Interesting.... Yoghurt is better for people with lactose intolerance than straight milk.

http://www.milk.co.uk/page.aspx?intPageID=85

Maybe what they suggest about the viscosity and making it move more slowly in the gut is why it didn't set you off?

I wonder what sets you off?  Interesting....  Yoghurt is better for people with lactose intolerance than straight milk.

http://www.milk.co.uk/page.aspx?intPageID=85

Maybe what they suggest about the viscosity and making it move more slowly in the gut is why it didn't set you off? 

It's quite strange as I'll often have store bought yoghurt with muesli for a quick breakfast but I always pay for it fairly soon after. I've been waiting for this to hit all day lol

Okay. Note to self, when it says use boiling water to scald jars remember that they actually cool very quickly on the dish drainer so they are not going to stay hot enough to not crack when you tip the boiling water in by the time you get to the third jar. Managed to scald my entire hand when the bottom broke out of the jar instead. Been in cold water for an hour and put aloe cream on it and it still hurts like hell.

Last edited:
I have found that any jar that s not a canning jar can do that.
I no longer reuse any jar but a mason jar.
The 8oz jelly jar seems to be perfect.

I am so sorry about your hand.
Keep your hand in cool water. I went over 24 hours once doing that, If It hurt when I pulled it out, it went back in.
Better to keep the skin on and avoid infection and scaring.

Last edited:
Okay. Note to self, when it says use boiling water to scald jars remember that they actually cool very quickly on the dish drainer so they are not going to stay hot enough to not crack when you tip the boiling water in by the time you get to the third jar. Managed to scald my entire hand when the bottom broke out of the jar instead. Been in cold water for an hour and put aloe cream on it and it still hurts like hell.
If you're able, take some Ibuprofen, it will help with the pain. If you want to be able to move around, hold onto a cool wet rag.

Ouch
hugs.gif

So sorry to hear this.

Ours are still going strong after about 5 years though we did loose one recently. We've only got about six though in a 4 foot tank.

I'm trying a few different things with my second batch. I'm using low fat milk with a teaspoon of gelatin (as apparently low fat makes watery-er yoghurt). I'm trying this one for my sister as she has to watch her blood sugar and full cream milk isn't good for that I believe.

Lactose free yoghurt is super expensive so if I can just whip this up at $2 per litre with lactose free milk what a bargain! Other funny thing, I need to do dairy free, lactose free still upsets my tummy, but I ate a whole bowl of this earlier and nothing!

My sister is diabetic and they told her not to drink skim milk as it raises blood sugar due to more carbs.

My sister is diabetic and they told her not to drink skim milk as it raises blood sugar due to more carbs.
Did they say it was ok to drink Whole milk?

Skim milk has a lot of nutrition taken out of it and does leave a lot of empty calories(lots of sugar to nutrient ratio).

Back
Top Bottom