Any Home Bakers Here?

Hi everyone! I recently got into baking (about a year ago) and really enjoy it. My specialty seems to be cupcakes! I mostly make deserts, but got a grilling book and would love to try some of the recipes! I'm also excited to look through all the recipes that have been posted here as well, though it might take a while.
smile.png
I don't bake all of the time, but find it very relaxing when I do, so I hope to share some of my experiences and recipes here!
big_smile.png

frow.gif
Hello penny, glad you have joined the bakers. Would love some tips on grilling shish kabobs if you try those - have never had luck with turning those skewers.
And I love cupcakes, hope you share some pics and recipes.

I'm not baking, still learning to use the pasta extruder. Wish I had a video of yesterday's attempt - did it all by myself and felt like Lucille Ball in the Chocolate Factory episode..
lau.gif

Couldn't keep up with the cutting - so tried a mound of flour to throw them on and later realized all I had to do was slow down the mixer speed
he.gif

Tried the spinach pasta recipe that came with the attachment and the dough was way too soft and sticky to work. Added more than an extra cup of flour before it would work in the dies.
Fusilli was ok, small macaroni turned out to be long noodles. Finished up with spaghetti - had nothing ready for them, so just wrapped them in loose knots......Pics at the end :(

I have read that Seminola flour subbed for AP flour will work better for extruded or hand shaped pasta? Couldn't find it locally. One of my bread books has a small section on pasta and mentioned that bread flour can be subbed for the Seminola? Has anyone tried that?

:frow Hello penny, glad you have joined the bakers. Would love some tips on grilling shish kabobs if you try those - have never had luck with turning those skewers. And I love cupcakes, hope you share some pics and recipes. I'm not baking, still learning to use the pasta extruder. Wish I had a video of yesterday's attempt - did it all by myself and felt like Lucille Ball in the Chocolate Factory episode..:lau Couldn't keep up with the cutting - so tried a mound of flour to throw them on and later realized all I had to do was slow down the mixer speed :he Tried the spinach pasta recipe that came with the attachment and the dough was way too soft and sticky to work. Added more than an extra cup of flour before it would work in the dies. Fusilli was ok, small macaroni turned out to be long noodles. Finished up with spaghetti - had nothing ready for them, so just wrapped them in loose knots......Pics at the end :( I have read that Seminola flour subbed for AP flour will work better for extruded or hand shaped pasta? Couldn't find it locally. One of my bread books has a small section on pasta and mentioned that bread flour can be subbed for the Seminola? Has anyone tried that?
Hello! Thanks for the welcome! I'm pretty sure there's a shish kabob recipe in the book that I'll try sometime. I'll be sure to share my experience! :) And I'll be sure to share some cupcake recipes and pics too! Oh my! Your pasta experience sounds......exhausting! :lol: Looks yummy though!

While I am definately not a pro at shish kabobs, these are my tips for grilling shish-kabobs:
Metal skewers work better than bamboo ones. Save the bamboo ones for grilled fruit for dessert.
If you buy metal skewers - buy flat ones. The ingredients won't spin so easily when you try to flip them during grilling.
If you insist on using the bamboo skewers - use two and space them apart slightly, this will help to prevent spinning. SOAK THEM BEFORE LOADING THEM UP.
Make all the pieces the same size, or a size that will make them all cook at the same rate. nothing worse than burnt, mushy squash and raw meat.

Hello! Thanks for the welcome! I'm pretty sure there's a shish kabob recipe in the book that I'll try sometime. I'll be sure to share my experience!
smile.png
And I'll be sure to share some cupcake recipes and pics too!

Oh my! Your pasta experience sounds......exhausting!
lol.png
Looks yummy though!

I have tried the egg pasta recipe with a cold ham pasta salad and it was very tasty. Gonna try the spinach noodles with a simple butter/oil/parmesian coating---or maybe cold with some Ranch Dressing?

While I am definately not a pro at shish kabobs, these are my tips for grilling shish-kabobs:
Metal skewers work better than bamboo ones. Save the bamboo ones for grilled fruit for dessert.
If you buy metal skewers - buy flat ones. The ingredients won't spin so easily when you try to flip them during grilling.
If you insist on using the bamboo skewers - use two and space them apart slightly, this will help to prevent spinning. SOAK THEM BEFORE LOADING THEM UP.
Make all the pieces the same size, or a size that will make them all cook at the same rate. nothing worse than burnt, mushy squash and raw meat.

Flat skewers
ya.gif
Would never have thought of that and cutting things to sizes to cook at same time - wonder why I never thought of that
idunno.gif
Thanks for your instructions - have wanted to try the kabobs, but had problems with them in the past - will be trying them as soon as we can find some skewers. I may still have some in the clutter?

I am braving the heat--going to be 101 today- and baking some sourdough bagels.

101 - IMO too hot to bake? We have only had 90 or so and I have been doing cold dinners.
Hope the bagels turn out well.

I have tried the egg pasta recipe with a cold ham pasta salad and it was very tasty. Gonna try the spinach noodles with a simple butter/oil/parmesian coating---or maybe cold with some Ranch Dressing?

Flat skewers
ya.gif
Would never have thought of that and cutting things to sizes to cook at same time - wonder why I never thought of that
idunno.gif
Thanks for your instructions - have wanted to try the kabobs, but had problems with them in the past - will be trying them as soon as we can find some skewers. I may still have some in the clutter?

101 - IMO too hot to bake? We have only had 90 or so and I have been doing cold dinners.
I am trying to get them baked before it gets that hot. It is about 85 outside now.

Problem though, my youngest DD is baking milano cookies today and will be using the oven about the time I need to bake the bagels---I will need to let the bagels wait between boiling and baking but it should work....and we will have cookies and bagels!

Flat skewers!
Ahh! I have a handy dandy young blacksmith living here -eating my food all summer, I bet I can give him a project.
It is hot here too, I do not know how willing he will be to crank up the forge and hit hot steal, though. We are 10 degrees cooler than Ron right now. I am grateful.

Apparently we are now 10 degrees hotter, Oh well, still grateful- it was suppose to be 95 and we are at 91, could be worse.

I made cherry walnut brownies to go with the chocolate cherry ripple ice cream the boys decided they needed.
I do hope having my son home for the summer won't cause me to gain my weight back.

Last edited:
I am trying to get them baked before it gets that hot. It is about 85 outside now.

Problem though, my youngest DD is baking milano cookies today and will be using the oven about the time I need to bake the bagels---I will need to let the bagels wait between boiling and baking but it should work....and we will have cookies and bagels!

Cookies and Bagels
droolin.gif
Hope the house cools down before y'all get to the high of the day.

Flat skewers!
Ahh! I have a handy dandy young blacksmith living here -eating my food all summer, I bet I can give him a project.
It is hot here too, I do not know how willing he will be to crank up the forge and hit hot steal, though. We are 10 degrees cooler than Ron right now. I am grateful.

Apparently we are now 10 degrees hotter, Oh well, still grateful- it was suppose to be 95 and we are at 91, could be worse.

I made cherry walnut brownies to go with the chocolate cherry ripple ice cream the boys decided they needed.
I do hope having my son home for the summer won't cause me to gain my weight back.
Thanks for the suggestion, but the stainless steel ones with a rack are reasonably priced, so likely will order some.

We are only at 83 now - but overcast, humid and raining off and on. Feels like 90 :(

Don't worry about the weight - there's plenty of time to get it off after he goes back to school......I found a website that said - what to do about those wrinkles??? Fill them out with more banana pudding
lau.gif

Seriously about the wrinkles!
I lost weight and they showed up!

I was better before the retinal!
All it did was unearth more!

Oh well, I'd rather feel healthy and be all creasy.

Metal skewers work better than bamboo ones.  Save the bamboo ones for grilled fruit for dessert.
  If you buy metal skewers - buy flat ones.  The ingredients won't spin so easily when you try to flip them during grilling.
  If you insist on using the bamboo skewers - use two and space them apart slightly, this will help to prevent spinning.  SOAK THEM BEFORE LOADING THEM UP.
  Make all the pieces the same size, or a size that will make them all cook at the same rate.  nothing worse than burnt, mushy squash and raw meat.

Good tips! I will definitely use them when I try making kabobs!
I have tried the egg pasta recipe with a cold ham pasta salad and it was very tasty.   Gonna try the spinach noodles with a simple butter/oil/parmesian coating---or maybe cold with some Ranch Dressing?

Flat skewers  :ya   Would never have thought of that and cutting things to sizes to cook at same time - wonder why I never thought of that :idunno .
Thanks for your instructions - have wanted to try the kabobs, but had problems with them in the past - will be trying them as soon as we can find some skewers.   I may still have some in the clutter?

101 - IMO too hot to bake?  We have only had 90 or so and I have been doing cold dinners. 

The pasta salad sounds tasty!
Flat skewers!
Ahh! I have a handy dandy young blacksmith living here  -eating my food all summer, I bet I can give him a project.
It is hot here too, I do not know how willing he will be to crank up the forge and hit hot steal, though.  We are 10 degrees cooler than Ron right now. I am grateful.

Brownies? Ice cream? YUM! :drool

Bagels and cookies sounds great right now! Good luck! :)

Y'all are making me hungry with all this food talk! ;)

Back
Top Bottom