Any Home Bakers Here?

However I thought scones were sweet? 

No, they're not.  You can have them in a Devonshire Tea, where they are served with jam and whipped cream, but they aren't sweet by themselves.  With just butter, they aren't sweet.  Some people put sugar in them, but regular scones aren't made with sugar.  

Ahh then yes they are similar. We usually eat ours with gravy or as a breakfast sandwich

ronott's recipes are what we would call a scone and a cheese scone respectively.  Another firm favourite down here is the "pumpkin scone".
Again, I don't think all recipes have sugar, although this one does. 
 http://www.food.com/recipe/lady-florence-bjelke-petersens-famous-pumpkin-scones-australi-302025

I've got lady Flo's famous pumpkin scone recipe prince Charles said his mum mentioned to him here somewhere in an autographed copy of her cookbook :). Quite like pumpkin scones actually, hmm got 3 pumpkins out back waiting for picking, that might be another good use for them!

Last edited:
Quite like pumpkin scones actually,
My sister used to live in the country, and her place had an old wood stove which she kept going most of the time (it was down south, so it tended to get a bit chilly). Pumpkin scones from a wood stove are the BEST. You just put them directly on the iron shelves and the oven gets really, really hot (not like modern ovens, which really don't get up that blazing heat). They were sooooo good. The bottom is all crusty and they are so soft inside.... drool.

My sister used to live in the country, and her place had an old wood stove which she kept going most of the time (it was down south, so it tended to get a bit chilly).  Pumpkin scones from a wood stove are the BEST.  You just put them directly on the iron shelves and the oven gets really, really hot (not like modern ovens, which really don't get up that blazing heat).  They were sooooo good.  The bottom is all crusty and they are so soft inside.... drool.  

That's interesting because I've noticed that scones do ask for a pretty hot oven and admit I have always tended to turn it lower than they say for fear of them burning. I'm going to give them a go at full heat when I pick my first pumpkin.

I'm going to give them a go at full heat when I pick my first pumpkin.
Unless you've got an oven that tends to burn stuff, that's the way to go. Really let it heat up before you put them in and the hotter the better. You can turn them around if they get too brown at the back, although they don't need to be in there very long.

Unless you've got an oven that tends to burn stuff, that's the way to go.  Really let it heat up before you put them in and the hotter the better.  You can turn them around if they get too brown at the back, although they don't need to be in there very long.  

My old oven was a shocker for burning stuff. I finally bought a oven temp thing and it was 50 degrees out. I burnt less after that but it's been hard to break old habits of cooking everything at 150 instead of 200 :)

My old oven was a shocker for burning stuff. I finally bought a oven temp thing and it was 50 degrees out. I burnt less after that but it's been hard to break old habits of cooking everything at 150 instead of 200 :)
I think the dials on ovens are always a suggestion and you always need to buy an oven thermometer to know what's really going on. My "proper" oven never seems to get very hot, but I've also got a convection microwave and I can bake stuff in that (when I ever get around to cooking, that is). I've been really wanting pumpkin scones and might get around to making a batch. Maybe I'll do them in the convection microwave instead, see how they go......

Back
Top Bottom