Any Home Bakers Here?

I've ben MIA from this thread for a long time
hide.gif
but I signed on today and am already cracking up over the biscuit discrepancies on each side of the pond. I'm no expert, but I always thought what Americans call biscuits, the English call crumpets & what the English call biscuits, the Americans call cookies. I thought scones were an entirely different thing, more like a rolled, filled pastry, but again I'm not entirely clear on any of it.

My question today is; Does anybody have any experience baking with Agave nectar and/or Sucanat? I noticed they've got the Agave in bulk at my Costco & I've heard its 25% sweeter than honey & a much lower glycemic index than cane sugar. I have been looking at some recipes & it seems you have to mess with the liquid content & sweeten to taste. It all seems very inexact. Has anybody tried it & if so, what do you think?

I make scones but I mix the fruit in the batter and with my hands I flatten it out somewhat and take a pizza cutter and cut the scone into squares and bake them on parchment paper. Some people roll them out in a pie shape and cut them into like pie slices. I have done it both ways.

We have crumpets, we call them English Muffins. We can buy them precooked too. I really enjoy them.

We have English muffins too. Do you guys have bacon and egg McMuffins at McDonalds? Those are English muffins

We pour gravy over our meat and veges. I can't think of a bread product we would pour it over (ewe lol). We might wipe the gravy off the plate at the end with a regular bread roll but that's about it.

Didn't know Italians call sauce gravy. How funny!

We have English muffins too. Do you guys have bacon and egg McMuffins at McDonalds? Those are English muffins
We pour gravy over our meat and veges. I can't think of a bread product we would pour it over (ewe lol). We might wipe the gravy off the plate at the end with a regular bread roll but that's about it.

Did I post the sourdough english muffin recipe!

....I did!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/921333/any-home-bakers-here/2130#post_15801595

I love these!

I can't think of a bread product we would pour it over (ewe lol). We might wipe the gravy off the plate at the end with a regular bread roll but that's about it.
I make dumplings with scone dough. They are yummy with the sauce/gravy from the casserole underneath. It isn't poured over because it'd go soggy, but it's nice together.

We have crumpets, we call them English Muffins. We can buy them precooked too. I really enjoy them.

Yeah I misspoke, we have the English muffins and the biscuits they make them both into sandwiches. We also have the crumpets, they are just harder to find.

The gravy over bread is a rural thing. Just like chicken fried steak, biscuits and gravy are old-fashioned comfort foods. They are two of my DH favorite foods, so I serve them alot. Growing up, when dad had to cook for us he always made us SOS (Sh%& on shingles) it is a milk/flour gravy with ground beef or sausage mixed in and served over toast. It is what they served often in the mess halls for troops.

biscuits and gravy
How is the gravy made? As appps said, we tend to only call meat gravy "gravy", ie browned flour, usually in meat fat left over from a roast or frying something for a casserole, with liquid (lots of meat juices, also water or stock) added and reduced. Milk-based "gravies" we tend to call "sauces" instead of gravy..... How is the gravy served with biscuits made? Is it a meat-based gravy?

biscuits and gravy 

How is the gravy made?  As appps said, we tend to only call meat gravy "gravy", ie browned flour, usually in meat fat left over from a roast or frying something for a casserole, with liquid (lots of meat juices, also water or stock) added and reduced.  Milk-based "gravies" we tend to call "sauces" instead of gravy.....  How is the gravy served with biscuits made?  Is it a meat-based gravy? 

We call both "gravy" Usually I fry up the ground beef then mix flour, seasonings, water, and milk and pour that over the hamburger and boil to reduce/ thicken. I think some make the gravy seperate without the beef grease and then add the hamburger later, makes a whiter gravy.

How is the gravy made? As appps said, we tend to only call meat gravy "gravy", ie browned flour, usually in meat fat left over from a roast or frying something for a casserole, with liquid (lots of meat juices, also water or stock) added and reduced. Milk-based "gravies" we tend to call "sauces" instead of gravy..... How is the gravy served with biscuits made? Is it a meat-based gravy?

I make gravy for rice or mashed potatoes with a butter/flour roux & broth & lots of seasonings. If I want to do a breakfast biscuits & gravy I make it the same as the rice gravy, but with a little less broth & I add a decent amount of milk & extra black pepper. As a vegetarian, I don't put sausage in mine, but my DH & kids often crumble vegi sausage into theirs. We serve it with crumbled up boiled eggs, everything piled in & mixed up together. I agree with OrganicFarmWife that its the ultimate in comfort food. My dad also made us SOS... Our dads must have been in the navy together. Lol!

Back
Top Bottom