Any Home Bakers Here?

biscuits and gravy 

How is the gravy made?  As appps said, we tend to only call meat gravy "gravy", ie browned flour, usually in meat fat left over from a roast or frying something for a casserole, with liquid (lots of meat juices, also water or stock) added and reduced.  Milk-based "gravies" we tend to call "sauces" instead of gravy.....  How is the gravy served with biscuits made?  Is it a meat-based gravy? 

We call both "gravy" Usually I fry up the ground beef then mix flour, seasonings, water, and milk and pour that over the hamburger and boil to reduce/ thicken. I think some make the gravy seperate without the beef grease and then add the hamburger later, makes a whiter gravy.

The white gravy we generally put over/with fried chicken or fried steak or we mix with hamburger and put that over bread.
We also make a cornstarch gravy, that we generally put over roasts and turkey.

The white gravy we generally put over/with fried chicken or fried steak or we mix with hamburger and put that over bread.
A lot of Gravy is based on Beschamel sauce. Most mac and cheese recipes are beschamel sauce with cheese added. It is a basic white sauce and was a part home ec curriculum. Sadly, many do not know how to make it now.

A lot of Gravy is based on Beschamel sauce.
Thanks, yes, again it just seems to be a case of difference in naming. We usually call beschamel "white sauce". We'd never call it gravy.

We make what sounds to be the same as the gravy for biscuits, with minced meat (what you call hamburger, we call "mince") in it, but we just call that "mince". Usually, we wouldn't add milk to gravy/sauce in our mince, it would just be brown. I can imagine the biscuits and gravy would be nice, it's the equivalent of what we would have with a stew and dumplings (stew has hunks of meat instead of mince, but it's more or less the same thing). Yum.....

you guys are making me hungry now
droolin.gif

A lot of Gravy is based on Beschamel sauce. Most mac and cheese recipes are beschamel sauce with cheese added. It is a basic white sauce and was a part home ec curriculum. Sadly, many do not know how to make it now.

White sauce was one of the first thing my kids learnt to make. We called it the 2-2-2 recipe :)
2 tab sp butter
2 desert spoons flour
2 cups milk (warmed for 2 minutes in the microwave)
2 pinches salt and pepper (one of each)

Was nice to be able to farm that job out lol

Last edited:
Quote: We call both "gravy" Usually I fry up the ground beef then mix flour, seasonings, water, and milk and pour that over the hamburger and boil to reduce/ thicken. I think some make the gravy seperate without the beef grease and then add the hamburger later, makes a whiter gravy.

Same here.

Back
Top Bottom