Any Home Bakers Here?

are scones suppose to be soft or crunchy?
Never crunchy, but if you make them in a really hot oven or a wood stove, they can get a good crust on the outside. The inside will be all soft and steamy and the outside crusty. Most modern ovens don't really get hot enough to do that to them, I don't think.

whenever i would see them in the store they were always crunchy. im guessing they must have been old.
You need to drop everything and bake some scones!

woot.gif

There is no comparison between the store version and home made.

Last edited:
Quote:
True.
highfive.gif

Easy Scones

Ingredients
Serves: 8
  • 2 cups self raising flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • pinch of salt
  • 2 teaspoons sugar ( add more sugar if you want sweeter scones)
  • 1 tablespoon cold butter
  • 1/2 cup chopped dates, currents, raisins, blueberries etc.
  • 1 small egg, beaten
  • 2/3 cup milk

Directions
Preparation:10min › Cook:10min › Ready in:20min
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
  2. Sift together flour, baking powder, salt and sugar into a large bowl.
  3. Rub in butter until mixture resembles breadcrumbs. ( I use a food processor for this step and when the mixture resembles breadcrumbs I put it in my Kitchenaid and mix the other ingredients in it with my dough hook) (I'm lazy)
  4. Stir in the chopped dates etc.
  5. Combine the egg and milk in a cup. Stir into the flour mixture to make a soft sticky dough.
  6. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead for 30 seconds or until just smooth. If the dough is too sticky add a bit more flour while kneading.
  7. Pat the dough out to a pie shape or rectangle to around a ½ inch thick.
  8. Cut the dough into about 8 squares or rounds or pie shapes, brush tops with a little milk and place on a tray. (I use parchment paper on a cookie sheet)
  9. Bake about 10-15 minutes or until golden.

Last edited:
i guess i will have to try one of these days.

i still cant find any bread flour here or any other flour here except for ap, cake flour, self rise(or raise im not sure which one it is), and rice flour. i have no idea where the local bakeries get the flour for bread here.

Last edited:

i still cant find any bread flour here or any other flour here except for ap, cake flour, self rise(or raise im not sure which one it is), and rice flour. i have no idea where the local bakeries get the flour for bread here.
Walmart sells bread flour here. It is Gold Medal or Pillsbury. I can also buy 50 pounds of it from Costco.

I always have vital wheat gluten on hand. Health food stores may carry it or you can get it online. If I can't get bread flour I add that to all purpose flour. 1 cup all purpose flour plus 1 teaspoon vital wheat gluten.

Back
Top Bottom