Any Home Bakers Here?

I baked a new cake on Sunday, It is a fresh strawberry cake. We added strawberry mousse to the center.

Author: Carla Cardello (www.chocolatemoosey.com) Serves: 8-inch two layer cake

Ingredients:

Strawberry Cake: 1 cup sliced fresh strawberries* (see Note)
1 tablespoon water
2 cups all purpose flour, sifted (when measuring, spoon the flour into the measuring cup and level it off. Do not scoop the measuring cup and pack down the flour)
1 1/2 cups + 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt 1/2 cup (1 stick or 4 ounces) unsalted butter, softened
4 egg whites, room temperature
1 cup whole milk, room temperature (do not sub low fat or fat free milk)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Red food coloring (optional)

Cream Cheese Frosting:

8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup (1 stick or 4 ounces) unsalted butter, softened
2 cups powdered sugar
Pinch of salt
1 teaspoon vanilla

Instructions

For the cake:

Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease two 8-inch round cake pans and line the bottoms with parchment paper.

In a large saucepan, stir together the strawberries, 2 tablespoons sugar, and water. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Boil for 5 minutes or until the strawberries cook down and start to thicken. Remove from the heat and let cool 15 minutes. You should have roughly 1/2 cup cooked puree.

In a large mixing bowl, mix together the flour, 1 1/2 cups sugar, baking powder, and salt. Beat in the butter until just combined and moist crumbs form - do not overmix (it will not form a smooth dough, just little pebbles).

In a large measuring cup or bowl, whisk together the egg whites, milk, and vanilla. Add about half of the mixture into the mixing bowl and beat until just incorporated (do not overmix). Add the remaining milk mixture and repeat. Add the cooked strawberry puree. If desired, add about 3-5 drops of red food coloring.

Divide the batter between the two cake pans and bake 25-30 minutes or until the tops are brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 15 minutes then invert cakes onto cooling racks. Cool completely.

For the frosting and assembly:

In a large mixing bowl, beat together the cream cheese and butter until smooth. Beat in the powdered sugar, salt, and vanilla until light and creamy, about 2-3 minutes.

If the cake layers are not flat, trim some of the cake off of the top until flat.
Place one cake layer on a cake stand or plate. Slide pieces of parchment or wax paper underneath the cake for easy clean up later. Spread some of the frosting on top of the cake. Top with the remaining cake layer. Spread a thin layer of frosting all over the cake, sealing in the crumbs (don't use more than half of the frosting).

Refrigerate 15 minutes.

Finish covering the cake with the remaining frosting. Carefully remove the paper pieces. Refrigerate until the frosting is firm. Store the cake covered in the refrigerator. For best results, let the cake sit at room temperature for 30 minutes before serving.

To make mousse for filling instead of frosting:

Blackberry Mousse(any 100% fresh juice will work)

1 C. blackberry juice (no pulp or seeds)--Use Strawberry juice. I used a juicer.
1 envelope Knox gelatin
1 t. lemon juice
1 C. sugar
1 C. whipping cream
1 t. vanilla
1 graham cracker pie crust (not used if stuffing a cake)

In a saucepan, combine blackberry juice and lemon juice. Sprinkle gelatin over the juice. Bring to a slow boil, stirring constantly. Once slow boil is maintained, add sugar. Cook and stir about one minute to dissolve sugar thoroughly. Pour into a bowl and refrigerate until it becomes thicker (syrupy, but not set).
Whip cream and vanilla to soft peak stage. Gently pour cream into blackberry gelatin mixture. Fold/stir gently until an even color is achieved. Pour into graham cracker crust. Refrigerate or freeze.
thumbsup.gif
Thanks for sharing, sounds so tasty.

thumbsup.gif
Thanks for sharing, sounds so tasty.

Your Welcome!
How exciting! Congratulations. (sounds like an excuse for a cake....) That strawberry cake looks delicious, ronott. drool.
It was a hit with everyone at home. I will be making this cake often, along with my trusted Perfectly chocolate cake recipe.

Yummy, sounds like you guys are making some yummy things! I haven't been baking much lately, but I did make enchiladas today for the daycare kids lunch. It's nice to make things I can get ready in the morning before they come and then throw in at lunch time.

I do have some non baking news that's exciting. My husband and I have officially passed and signed off on our adoption home study and adoption papers can be filed at the end of the month. So in not to long (fingers crossed), I will officially be a mother of two!

Fabulous news Alice! He will be blessed to have you as his mom!

I baked a new cake on Sunday, It is a fresh strawberry cake. We added strawberry mousse to the center. Author: Carla Cardello (www.chocolatemoosey.com) Serves: 8-inch two layer cake Ingredients: Strawberry Cake: 1 cup sliced fresh strawberries* (see Note) 1 tablespoon water 2 cups all purpose flour, sifted (when measuring, spoon the flour into the measuring cup and level it off. Do not scoop the measuring cup and pack down the flour) 1 1/2 cups + 2 tablespoons granulated sugar 1 tablespoon baking powder 1 teaspoon salt 1/2 cup (1 stick or 4 ounces) unsalted butter, softened 4 egg whites, room temperature 1 cup whole milk, room temperature (do not sub low fat or fat free milk) 1 teaspoon vanilla extract Red food coloring (optional) Cream Cheese Frosting: 8 ounces cream cheese, softened 1/2 cup (1 stick or 4 ounces) unsalted butter, softened 2 cups powdered sugar Pinch of salt 1 teaspoon vanilla Instructions For the cake: Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease two 8-inch round cake pans and line the bottoms with parchment paper. In a large saucepan, stir together the strawberries, 2 tablespoons sugar, and water. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Boil for 5 minutes or until the strawberries cook down and start to thicken. Remove from the heat and let cool 15 minutes. You should have roughly 1/2 cup cooked puree. In a large mixing bowl, mix together the flour, 1 1/2 cups sugar, baking powder, and salt. Beat in the butter until just combined and moist crumbs form - do not overmix (it will not form a smooth dough, just little pebbles). In a large measuring cup or bowl, whisk together the egg whites, milk, and vanilla. Add about half of the mixture into the mixing bowl and beat until just incorporated (do not overmix). Add the remaining milk mixture and repeat. Add the cooked strawberry puree. If desired, add about 3-5 drops of red food coloring. Divide the batter between the two cake pans and bake 25-30 minutes or until the tops are brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 15 minutes then invert cakes onto cooling racks. Cool completely. For the frosting and assembly: In a large mixing bowl, beat together the cream cheese and butter until smooth. Beat in the powdered sugar, salt, and vanilla until light and creamy, about 2-3 minutes. If the cake layers are not flat, trim some of the cake off of the top until flat. Place one cake layer on a cake stand or plate. Slide pieces of parchment or wax paper underneath the cake for easy clean up later. Spread some of the frosting on top of the cake. Top with the remaining cake layer. Spread a thin layer of frosting all over the cake, sealing in the crumbs (don't use more than half of the frosting). Refrigerate 15 minutes. Finish covering the cake with the remaining frosting. Carefully remove the paper pieces. Refrigerate until the frosting is firm. Store the cake covered in the refrigerator. For best results, let the cake sit at room temperature for 30 minutes before serving. To make mousse for filling instead of frosting: Blackberry Mousse(any 100% fresh juice will work) 1 C. blackberry juice (no pulp or seeds)--Use Strawberry juice. I used a juicer. 1 envelope Knox gelatin 1 t. lemon juice 1 C. sugar 1 C. whipping cream 1 t. vanilla 1 graham cracker pie crust (not used if stuffing a cake) In a saucepan, combine blackberry juice and lemon juice. Sprinkle gelatin over the juice. Bring to a slow boil, stirring constantly. Once slow boil is maintained, add sugar. Cook and stir about one minute to dissolve sugar thoroughly. Pour into a bowl and refrigerate until it becomes thicker (syrupy, but not set). Whip cream and vanilla to soft peak stage. Gently pour cream into blackberry gelatin mixture. Fold/stir gently until an even color is achieved. Pour into graham cracker crust. Refrigerate or freeze.
Looks and sounds fabulous Ron!

Well, I'm not doing anything as impressive as @ronott1s cake or @DigMyChicks cookies and apple crisp, but I'm making pizza for lunch for the daycare kids and me too
1f609.png
. I'm making one with whole wheat crust and one with cauliflower crust. My son is coming home early today, my husband is at the pumpkin patch with him for a field trip and then will bring him home after, so he will help me with the pizzas. I would let the daycare kids, but they all are either coughing or have runny noses, so they aren't helping this time.

We are adopting our foster son and he is three years old. I'm just happy the home study is over and now we just have to wait for adoption papers to be filed. We are in the home stretch. That is exciting for your aunt and uncle. It took us awhile to decide on how to expand our family, but we are very happy we decided to become foster parents and try to adopt through foster care. We have had an amazing experience. I am now outnumbered 3 to 1
1f633.png
!
1f602.png
Well, congratulations again, and I am very happy for you. :) :D

Well, I'm not doing anything as impressive as @ronott1 s cake or @DigMyChicks cookies and apple crisp, but I'm making pizza for lunch for the daycare kids and me too
1f609.png
. I'm making one with whole wheat crust and one with cauliflower crust. My son is coming home early today, my husband is at the pumpkin patch with him for a field trip and then will bring him home after, so he will help me with the pizzas. I would let the daycare kids, but they all are either coughing or have runny noses, so they aren't helping this time.
The Pizzas sound great!

Have fun.

thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom