Any Home Bakers Here?

The egg yolks make it really yellow. I should have added some green food coloring. I have used sweetened condensed milk but the filling always seems more runny.

I wouldn't add food color, the natural color is perfect. Yes, please post the recipe
jumpy.gif

The egg yolks make it really yellow. I should have added some green food coloring. I have used sweetened condensed milk but the filling always seems more runny.
I've had that with condensed milk and lemon meringue pie. from memory it had a lot to do with how long I beat it at the beginning. I'd be interested in the recipe too. Condensed milk doesn't agree with my youngest but milk and butter can always be tweaked with lactose free ingredients.

One of our favorite dinners is in the oven...Pecker Pie!
droolin.gif

It's so easy to make with the Thanksgiving leftovers: turkey, gravy, vegetables (corn and carrots this time) and mashed potatoes on top.

Key Lime Pie

1 cup sugar
¼ cup AP flour
3 tablespoons cornstarch
¼ teaspoon salt
2 cups water
3 eggs
1 tablespoon butter
¼ cup key lime juice ( I use fresh key limes cut in half and squeeze them in a garlic press)
1 tablespoon lime zest
1 9” pie crust, baked
¼ teaspoon cream of tartar (if I don’t have cream of tartar, I use meringue powder which has cream of tartar in it)
6 tablespoons sugar (I use 3 or 4 tbs)

Preheat oven to 425°F
Separate eggs, beat the egg yolks and set aside the whites
Combine 1 cup sugar, flour, cornstarch and salt in a saucepan and stir in water a little at a time.
Cook mixture over medium heat until thickened, set aside a let cool some.
Mix egg yolks into the cooled mixture. Return to low heat cook and stir constantly for 2 minutes.
Add the butter, lime juice and lime zest and stir well.
Let the mixture cool (if you want green filling add green food coloring)

Beat the eggs whites until they start to form peaks and and the cream of tartar and continue to beat add the remaining sugar and beat until the meringue is stiff and glossy.
Pour the filling into the baked pie shell. Spread the meringue on top to the edges touching the crust
Bake @ 425
°F for 5 to 6 minutes or until the meringue is golden brown on top.
Cool and eat. Enjoy!

Key Lime Pie

1 cup sugar
¼ cup AP flour
3 tablespoons cornstarch
¼ teaspoon salt
2 cups water
3 eggs
1 tablespoon butter
¼ cup key lime juice ( I use fresh key limes cut in half and squeeze them in a garlic press)
1 tablespoon lime zest
1 9” pie crust, baked
¼ teaspoon cream of tartar (if I don’t have cream of tartar, I use meringue powder which has cream of tartar in it)

Preheat oven to 425°F
Combine 1 cup sugar, flour, cornstarch and salt in a saucepan and stir in water a little at a time.
Mix egg yolks into the cooled mixture. Return to low heat cook and stir constantly for 2 minutes.

Beat the eggs whites until they start to form peaks and and the cream of tartar and continue to beat add the remaining sugar and beat until the meringue is stiff and glossy.
Pour the filling into the baked pie shell. Spread the meringue on top to the edges touching the crust
Bake @ 425
Cool and eat. Enjoy!
thumbsup.gif
Thank you for the recipe.

Dumb question : what's the difference between limes and Key limes?
idunno.gif

idunno.gif
I don't think it a dumb question, not only did I not know what a key lime is, I didn't know what the key lime pie consisted of (I've heard it mentioned on tv and in movies, but never really knew what it was). Thanks for the recipe and teaching me new things, and thanks for asking sunflour so that I looked it up!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Key_lime_pie

Quote:
1 cup sugar
¼ cup AP flour
3 tablespoons cornstarch
¼ teaspoon salt
2 cups water
3 eggs
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon lime zest
1 9” pie crust, baked

Preheat oven to 425°F

Bake @ 425
Cool and eat. Enjoy!
thumbsup.gif
Thank you for the recipe.

idunno.gif

You can buy key limes at most grocery stores. They are small limes that is why I use a garlic press to squeeze them. I cut them in half and put each half in the garlic press. I have been trying to upload a picture but my computer is working right or at least my internet connection.
Finally, here are two, they turn yellowish as they ripen, next to a quarter.

You can buy key limes at most grocery stores. They are small limes that is why I use a garlic press to squeeze them. I cut them in half and put each half in the garlic press. I have been trying to upload a picture but my computer is working right or at least my internet connection.
Finally, here are two, they turn yellowish as they ripen, next to a quarter.

Thanks for pic - if I had seen them, doubt I would have recognized them as limes
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom