Any Home Bakers Here?

Pickles?????

Yeah I thought that too. Unfortunatly after checking out recipes discovered there are surprisingly few cucumbers in pickles.

Tried to interest the kids in cucumber sandwiches for lunch but they were having none of it the uncultured little beggars
1f602.png

I understand about the youngins... unfortunately I can't think of anything that uses LOTS of cucumbers. Make up some pickle relish or some tzatziki sauce and slather it on a pita with some roast lamb.... that's a yummy way to take care of a few cucumbers.

@N F C Thanks for pointing me this way! I'll share my family's prized recipe:

Apple Torte

Oven 325 F

Filling:
1 cup sugar
2 Tb cornstarch
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup water
1 Tb butter

Mix in a med saucepan, then cook it til thick over low-med heat. Turn off heat, and when it's cooled a bit, add 1 tsp vanilla and 2 cups peeled and sliced apples.

Crust:
2 cups flour
3/4 cup rolled oats
1/8 tsp salt
1 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup melted shortening

Mix the dry ingredients first, then add the melted shortening. Save out 1 1/4 cups, and put the rest in a greased 8x8 pan. DO NOT PACK IT IN! Put the filling over it, then crumble the reserved crust on top. Bake 1 hour. Serve very warm with vanilla ice cream. Serves 9.

Notes:
Do not pack the crust into the pan. You won't be able to cut it if you do.
Also, try it with different fruits. I've done raspberries and blueberries (not together) and both have been fantastic.

@N F C
  Thanks for pointing me this way! I'll share my family's prized recipe:

Apple Torte

Oven 325 F

Filling:
1 cup sugar
2 Tb cornstarch
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup water
1 Tb butter

Mix in a med saucepan, then cook it til thick over low-med heat. Turn off heat, and when it's cooled a bit, add 1 tsp vanilla and 2 cups peeled and sliced apples.

Crust:
2 cups flour
3/4 cup rolled oats
1/8 tsp salt
1 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup melted shortening

Mix the dry ingredients first, then add the melted shortening. Save out 1 1/4 cups, and put the rest in a greased 8x8 pan. DO NOT PACK IT IN! Put the filling over it, then crumble the reserved crust on top. Bake 1 hour. Serve very warm with vanilla ice cream. Serves 9.

Notes:
Do not pack the crust into the pan. You won't be able to cut it if you do.
Also, try it with different fruits. I've done raspberries and blueberries (not together) and both have been fantastic.

We call that apple crisp here but I use butter instead of shortening...so good! Never thought to try it with another fruit.

We call that apple crisp here but I use butter instead of shortening...so good! Never thought to try it with another fruit.
I always thought it was similar to a crisp, but doesn't it have a different bottom crust?

I have lots of domesticated black raspberries, they are the fence around my garden. I had to get rid of them somehow, and the torte was a very delicious way!

Back
Top Bottom