Any Home Bakers Here?

We have an ''Orange'' tree that some friends gave us when they moved to Colorado. It produces oranges the size of a baby's fist and they do turn orange, then fall off. They are sour enough to turn your mouth inside out. The blossoms are so sweet smelling! We are not in a very good climate for oranges either.
That sounds like a neat tree to have, even just for the blossoms. I would love to have some trees that are more southern.

We missed baking a pie for Pi day(3/14) so I baked a pie yesterday.

It is a Cherry Berry Pie with streusel topping:

It is very tasty!

Cherry Berry Pie
Ingredients

• Single Crust Pie Shell
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/4 cup cornstarch
  • 4 1/2 cups frozen unsweetened pitted tart red cherries
  • 3/4 cup frozen red raspberries
  • 3/4 cup frozen blueberries
  • 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
  • 1 teaspoon lemon juice
  • 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup butter, cut into small pieces
Directions
  1. Prepare and roll out Single Crust Pie Shell pastry. Line a 9-inch pie plate with pastry. Trim overhang to an even 1 inch all the way around. Tuck the crust under and flute the edges. Do not prick pastry. Put pastry-lined pie plate pie plate in freezer while preparing pie.
  2. For filling: In a large saucepan, stir together the 1 cup granulated sugar and 1/4 cup cornstarch; add cherries. Gently toss until coated. Cook and stir over medium heat until bubbly. Add raspberries and blueberries. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook and gently stir for 1 minute more. Remove from heat. Stir in lemon zest, lemon juice and almond extract. Set aside.
  3. For topping: In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, the 1/2 cup sugar, the brown sugar and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Set aside.
  4. Transfer cherry mixture to the pastry-lined pie plate. Sprinkle crumb mixture over cherry mixture. To prevent overbrowning, loosely cover pie with foil.
  5. Bake in a 400 degrees oven for 25 minutes. Remove foil. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes more or until filling is bubbly and crumb topping is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack at least 2 hours before serving.

We missed baking a pie for Pi day(3/14) so I baked a pie yesterday. It is a Cherry Berry Pie with streusel topping: It is very tasty! Cherry Berry Pie Ingredients
  • Single Crust Pie Shell
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/4 cup cornstarch
  • 4 1/2 cups frozen unsweetened pitted tart red cherries
  • 3/4 cup frozen red raspberries
  • 3/4 cup frozen blueberries
  • 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
  • 1 teaspoon lemon juice
  • 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup butter, cut into small pieces
Directions
  1. Prepare and roll out Single Crust Pie Shell pastry. Line a 9-inch pie plate with pastry. Trim overhang to an even 1 inch all the way around. Tuck the crust under and flute the edges. Do not prick pastry. Put pastry-lined pie plate pie plate in freezer while preparing pie.
  2. For filling: In a large saucepan, stir together the 1 cup granulated sugar and 1/4 cup cornstarch; add cherries. Gently toss until coated. Cook and stir over medium heat until bubbly. Add raspberries and blueberries. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook and gently stir for 1 minute more. Remove from heat. Stir in lemon zest, lemon juice and almond extract. Set aside.
  3. For topping: In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, the 1/2 cup sugar, the brown sugar and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Set aside.
  4. Transfer cherry mixture to the pastry-lined pie plate. Sprinkle crumb mixture over cherry mixture. To prevent overbrowning, loosely cover pie with foil.
  5. Bake in a 400 degrees oven for 25 minutes. Remove foil. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes more or until filling is bubbly and crumb topping is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack at least 2 hours before serving.
That would be so good with vanilla icecream and a cup of coffee!!

I'm sitting back while Mr 16 bakes a lemon slice. Doesn't get much better than this
1f602.png

@appps Would you define a "lemon Slice" for me? Is that a lemon pie, lemon bars, candied lemon peel?
I want to make a lemon cheesecake one of these days.

@appps Would you define a "lemon Slice" for me? Is that a lemon pie, lemon bars, candied lemon peel?

Lemon cheesecake?!?!

Need anyone to taste test it for you? (My hand is up!)

@appps
  Would you define a "lemon Slice" for me?  Is that a lemon pie, lemon bars, candied lemon peel? 

A slice for us tends to be something baked in a rectangular tin with a biscuit base and then topping that can be cut into squares You do get slices with just all thick biscuity base of some sort but not as often. Hmm you would perhaps say cookie base? We use a plain biscuit (cookie) crushed into crumbs like a cheesecakes with melted butter etc.

I'm going to guess lemon bars? Is the translation
1f60b.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom