• 2/3 cup butter softened
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 6 apples peeled and cored
  • 2 cups brown sugar
  • 2 cups water
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
Instructions
  1. In a medium size bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt.
  2. Mix in the butter, then add in the milk and mix just until a soft dough forms.
  3. Divide the dough into 6 balls.
  4. Roll out each ball of dough on a floured surface.
  5. Place an apple in the center of each piece of dough.
  6. Fold the dough around the apple and press it together to form a ball.
  7. Spray a 9x13 pan with cooking spray.
  8. Place the dumplings in the prepared pan.
  9. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
  10. In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, combine the brown sugar, water, butter and cinnamon. Heat it just until it barely starts boiling, stirring often.
  11. Pour this mixture over the dumplings.
  12. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, or until the apples are soft and the dough is golden brown.
Recipe Notes
You can make these dumplings any size you'd like. If you'd like smaller dumplings, use only half an apple and less dough. If you'd like a thinner layer of dough around the apples, peel and core two more apples, make 8 dough balls and roll the dough thinner.

I got the recipe from: https://www.tastesoflizzyt.com/amish-apple-dumplings/

The one that was super sour was only a cup per 2 loaves (different recipe) this one is just right. Go figure... This one also doesn't have a sponge though, so the 2 cups is ALL that is sour and it's not super sour since it was just freshly fed (I fed it about 2 hours prior and it had bubbled and grown a TON before I used it).

This is a good recipe for not having any leftover starter though... Last time I used my starter I fed it, removed a cup, and had probably around a cup and a half that I put in the fridge, then I fed THAT without disposing of anything and gave it a cup each of flour and water and after I removed the 2 cups for the recipe I only put about half a cup or so back in the fridge. So, next time I make this recipe I may have to feed it twice before that without discarding to get it bulked up enough.
Thanks for the details! Working with sourdough is fun

C441C76F-782E-427C-9066-44A5C9A62F80.jpeg D7933E64-EED6-4DF4-8F37-1DCA28A425C9.jpeg CB24F45D-441B-47F2-89DD-96FBBF22D6E1.jpeg D2C56585-FEF0-4419-A4C4-D697274317CB.jpeg
Good morning all! I haven’t been on this thread for awhile. I baked these goodies for our church fall festival last weekend.

You certainly have a flair for making the prettiest cookies DMC! What kind of pies did you bake?
Good morning Debby, thank you! They were apple. I made a banana cream also but that was in the fridge. Those cookies are always a huge hit especially with kids. I have so many cutters and sprinkles. I stopped myself from buying more Halloween sprinkles the other day even though I didn’t have them!:lol:

Back
Top Bottom