Any Home Bakers Here?

@N F C That is how most recipes for mac & cheese are done. Make a cheese sauce, add macaroni, mix together and then bake.
I know my mom just poured a white liquid over the layers of cheese and noodles, to an eight year old it was plain old milk and something magic happened in the oven. :D:lol: :bow
I can actually close my eyes and see her making it. At least I still have such wonderful memories of her, if not her magical Mac & Cheese.

@N F C That is how most recipes for mac & cheese are done. Make a cheese sauce, add macaroni, mix together and then bake.
I know my mom just poured a white liquid over the layers of cheese and noodles, to an eight year old it was plain old milk and something magic happened in the oven. :D:lol: :bow
I can actually close my eyes and see her making it. At least I still have such wonderful memories of her, if not her magical Mac & Cheese.
Did she add a pinch of Nutmeg to the mac and cheese?

Wouldn't corn starch added to the milk help it to emulsify better with the cheeses? I'm no expert just taking a guess.

Wouldn't corn starch added to the milk help it to emulsify better with the cheeses? I'm no expert just taking a guess.
flour or cornstarch both thicken the sauce.

Flour holds up longer while cornstarch goes liquid faster--Not usually a problem with mac n cheese though!

Memories are the best, I'm glad you have them :hugs

Aha! Ok, I'm awake enough now to find info on it :p
what-is-the-purpose-for-vinegar-in-red-velvet-cake

Interesting!

I never questioned it, thanks for the link ...the real cake does use baking soda, but the mug cake uses only baking powder, so likely I'll just reduce the cocoa.

vinegar(lemon juice and other acidic liquids), buttermilk, cocoa powder and brown sugar will remove a bitter taste that baking soda will leave in baked goods too. If you ever see a recipe that has baking soda and does not have either a large amount of baking powder or one or more of the above ingredients, it is not a good recipe...unless you want that flavor

Interesting, thanks for the tip.

biscuit tip!

When rolling out the dough, sprinkle top with flour and fold over. Roll out and repeat three times. Finally roll out to half an inch and then cut with biscuit cutter.

https://www.southernliving.com/food/how-to/how-to-make-biscuits#biscuits-fold

View attachment 1273635

I don't roll biscuits, trying to copy my grandmother, I use the old southern mix it up with your hands - they aren't pretty, but do turn out tasty :)

Back
Top Bottom