Any Home Bakers Here?

Have you tried Irish butter for baking? It is very good

"]I know I'm a little late here, but the ONLY time I've ever used lard was last summer when I made homemade tamales. I've never tried it for baking. Like many here, my mom used margarine for baking, and the only time we ever had butter was on holidays when company came over. I thought butter was incredible, this golden substance that was one of the greatest things I'd ever tasted! Once I moved out on my own, I started buying butter for every day use, and use it for all my cookies, as well. YUM![/QUOTe

Same here. We had the cheapest margarine for every day and butter only on holidays.

Have been reading Mother Earth News Magazine....and it seems
LARD is making a come back....less saturated fat than veggie oils, and butter. Worth considering???

I bought some after reading about the vegetable oil industry and their campaign to discredit animal fats. I think the key Is to get real high quality lard.
I read so much and don’t keep notes but what I came away with so far is that animal fats in general are stable at high heat. Vegetable oils aren’t, and the oxidation or whatever occurs when you fry with them are worse for your body than lard or beef fat. That and the chemical treatments veg oils are subjected to so they don’t stink. All bets are off though because the way most beef is fed based on corn and with hormone implants the lipid levels are different and the fat lacks the proper balance for good health for the consumer. Grass fed is supposed to have much healthier fat.
Same with dairy, Irish butter as I understand it is grass fed and so is bright yellow color. However I don’t know how much grass Ireland could possibly grow to sustain all the Kerry butter that is now sold at Costco. It seems like when big business steps in things change for the worse for us to find real unadulterated food.
I love Kerry butter and it says on the box that the cows graze on green grass on small family farms. Hmmm... If that’s really true then it’s worth the price.
Sorry I shouldn’t roll out of bed and start blabbing. :oops:

I bought some after reading about the vegetable oil industry and their campaign to discredit animal fats. I think the key Is to get real high quality lard.
I read so much and don’t keep notes but what I came away with so far is that animal fats in general are stable at high heat. Vegetable oils aren’t, and the oxidation or whatever occurs when you fry with them are worse for your body than lard or beef fat. That and the chemical treatments veg oils are subjected to so they don’t stink. All bets are off though because the way most beef is fed based on corn and with hormone implants the lipid levels are different and the fat lacks the proper balance for good health for the consumer. Grass fed is supposed to have much healthier fat.
Same with dairy, Irish butter as I understand it is grass fed and so is bright yellow color. However I don’t know how much grass Ireland could possibly grow to sustain all the Kerry butter that is now sold at Costco. It seems like when big business steps in things change for the worse for us to find real unadulterated food.
I love Kerry butter and it says on the box that the cows graze on green grass on small family farms. Hmmm... If that’s really true then it’s worth the price.
Sorry I shouldn’t roll out of bed and start blabbing. :oops:
Not blabbing...it is informative. This type of info helps me make
the correct decision. Just heard about Chaga. Guess it has been around...but sometimes I receive late. Had my first cup
of Chaga tea. GOOD ...I like it. And the word is: it helps many
things for your body...

I'm making a quadruple batch of chicken noodle soup today..... My biggest pot is almost not big enough!

IMG_20191119_113937.jpg
IMG_20191119_113929.jpg

Morning bakers have not taken anything out for dinner the Son is in town Chehalis he has been since o dark thirty 7:30 He is never been early riser he can he has a impacted wisdom tooth they are removing
tonight is pressure cooker marinara sauce for spaghetti

Back
Top Bottom