Any Home Bakers Here?

There is only me here. I don't work so there is no such thing as weekends or holidays. It was just another day.
:hugs. I wouldn't cook for just me either. DH travels a lot. I eat leftovers, or something really simple, like salad or soup. Making a big pot of soup at the beginning of the week sees me through to the end. Boring, I know.

I forced myself to make dinner. I kept wanting to skip it, but I am glad I did it.
I actually felt the same this year. I love to cook and usually enjoy making TG dinner, but I didn't enjoy the cooking part this year. DH was building a bachelor pad for me and I was more interested in that. But, when we sat down to eat I was glad I made the effort.

This is the brine instructions from a recipe by Emeril lagasse. The turkey goes into the brine from 4 to 24 hours.

Brine:
1 cup salt
1 cup brown sugar
2 oranges, quartered
2 lemons, quartered
6 sprigs thyme
4 sprigs rosemary

To make the brining solution, dissolve the salt and sugar in 2 gallons of cold water in a non-reactive container (such as a clean bucket or large stockpot, or a clean, heavy-duty, plastic garbage bag.) Add the oranges, lemons, thyme, and rosemary.

Note: if you have a big turkey and need more brine than this, use 1/2 cup salt and 1/2 cup brown sugar for every gallon of water.

I am attaching the whole recipe to this post
We bought a 12lb turkey because we thought it be be just us this year until we got an invite. We brought the wine and I made some desserts.

So went by my local fruit stand yesterday and decided to pull the trigger on the one pound bag of chia seeds, and other things for our breakfast smoothies. Well they had some perfectly good but ugly looking to the average consumer bananas in the back(free so I grabbed a double handfull). This isn't your standard banana type it just bruises easily and always looks ugly. Regardless here is the experiment for today:
https://simple-veganista.com/banana-chia-pudding/
DW has already been dipping into it(to verify its consistancy...) as we are in the 6 hour mandatory cool down period. She says it is already good. My plan is to eat it with mango and banana slices.

Last edited:
Usually we do have turkey for Thanksgiving. This time I had a prime rib. Last year I cooked a goose I took hunting.

That reminds me. I am planning on serving a goose I took this hunting season for Christmas or New Years Eve. I want to serve chestnut stuffing and figgy pudding with it. Do you guys know of anything else that goes well with goose? Mashed potatoes? A vegetable?

Any ideas will be appreciated.

Jared

depends on what type of goose you got there. i would make something different to with each of the goose types i hunt.

snow goose, i have roasted snow geese before and there not that bad ( everyone complains about them) needs something, strong? not sure what to call it but to go with the flavor of it. i would think mushrooms and rice (even better wild rice) would go nice with it. maybe even sweet potato would be nice.

Canada (my favorite), i think a good Canada goose tastes like roast beef, so i go with a gravy and mashed potatoes, and good root veggies that go with roast beef are what i like. (turnips, parsnips, yam, potatoes and onions yum)

white fronted or speckle belly? never shot one there kinda rare here to find a got spot to get them, but been told there just if not better then Canada's.

am not much help i don't get many geese (more ducks and the last two years i have not been able to get any besides 1 duck)

Almost home. Just filling up with gas.

depends on what type of goose you got there. i would make something different to with each of the goose types i hunt.

snow goose, i have roasted snow geese before and there not that bad ( everyone complains about them) needs something, strong? not sure what to call it but to go with the flavor of it. i would think mushrooms and rice (even better wild rice) would go nice with it. maybe even sweet potato would be nice.

Canada (my favorite), i think a good Canada goose tastes like roast beef, so i go with a gravy and mashed potatoes, and good root veggies that go with roast beef are what i like. (turnips, parsnips, yam, potatoes and onions yum)

white fronted or speckle belly? never shot one there kinda rare here to find a got spot to get them, but been told there just if not better then Canada's.

am not much help i don't get many geese (more ducks and the last two years i have not been able to get any besides 1 duck)

Its a Canada Goose. Here is a picture:

20191125_112823.jpg

6 pounds 3.2 ounces empty weight. You are right. It does taste like roast beef!

Husband and I had a 5 pound free range chicken....and I made
dressing and all the same trimmings that go with Turkey This was
my mother-in-laws old recipe (dressing)....that is the best we ever had.
We had leftovers today....and we will have leftovers tomorrow. The
Swedish Tea Ring was a large one and we are enjoying it...Daily.

Husband and I had a 5 pound free range chicken....and I made
dressing and all the same trimmings that go with Turkey This was
my mother-in-laws old recipe (dressing)....that is the best we ever had.
We had leftovers today....and we will have leftovers tomorrow. The
Swedish Tea Ring was a large one and we are enjoying it...Daily.
I am baking pizza tonight!

Back
Top Bottom