Any Home Bakers Here?

Curious, I thought part of the "advantage" of convection was that it cut the time and therefore the energy use.
Sorry, I should have specified that those instructions are for glass bakeware. I did use to have a convection oven and really liked it, but wasn't into baking bread at that time. It did cut the time somewhat because it circulates the heat. Most convection ovens have an option to cut off the fan used to circulate the heat if you don't need/want it for a particular dish.

Sorry, I should have specified that those instructions are for glass bakeware. I did use to have a convection oven and really liked it, but wasn't into baking bread at that time. It did cut the time somewhat because it circulates the heat. Most convection ovens have an option to cut off the fan used to circulate the heat if you don't need/want it for a particular dish.
My oven has a convection bake and a regular bake setting. I mostly use convection baking but for bread in the enameled dutch oven with a lid, I use regular bake. The oven automatically cuts the temperature by 25 degrees f so I up it a bit usually.

Ours has a LOT of settings including bake and convection bake. OK so the extra time is for glass vs metal pans. Now all I have to do is remember that when I use them!
It has to do with how the glass is slower to heat, but then gets hotter and holds the heat longer than metal. So, it cooks the outside of whatever your baking quickly and is slower to cook the middle. Brownies, for instance, will burn, or overcook, on the sides while the middle is still gooey. I like my glass pans and do my best to remember to make the adjustments, but I still get forgetful at times:barnie.

Back
Top Bottom