Any Home Bakers Here?

What? Husband won't try it? My husband would dive into a pool of it and suck it all down! He must not appreciate your great cooking!! Looks fantastic! :D
He appreciates my cooking...just not homemade soup. He likes the crap in the can. He did try it and said it wasn’t too bad. It was good but I like cabbage in mine and I didn’t have any.
This is funny, Grandma cooked veg perfectly, soft with a bit of crunch and loaded with flavor, Mom bought into the kill your veg marketing... When I cooked for the family, and I did it a lot, I did it grandma's way. Mom would yell at me, but by golly she still ate them. Hmmm, even as a youngster, I knew to trust Grandma over the government. :gig

Okay, back to bread. I'm calling this loaf a win, even though there are still things I need to improve upon. I think it was too stiff from the description on the KA site. I'm thinking too much bread flour. So next shot, I'm going to pull it out of the kitchen aid as soon as it forms a ball, oil not flour my counter and use the traditional stretch and fold method for kneading. I'm going to tent the bread at 15 rather than 20 minutes and I need to work on my tenting technique. That bread pan is HOT and foil is WAY to conductive... So game plan is to make the tent on three sides before it goes into the oven, then slide the tent over and seal. This will give me a lighter crust. My goal is to make bread from what I have in the pantry without needing to add special stuff. Here's the results, smells and tastes fantastic. Oh, and forgive the hole from my temp probe.

View attachment 2052892View attachment 2052894View attachment 2052896
Beautiful loaf!
Made a few changes in Whole Wheat/White Sourdough Bread: less yeast
1/4 tsp 1 T instead of 3T veggie oil, 1T honey instead of 3T:View attachment 2053374
Beautiful loaf also!

I have tried to make rye bread several times... I can never get it right; the loaves don't rise, and they come out incredibly dense. However, I found out a couple weeks ago that the thermometer that I had been using to test the temperature of the liquid was inaccurate! I'm going by touch now, and have successfully made a yeasted coffee cake (which needs a bit of work; there was too strong a yeasty flavor, so I'll cut back on that next time) and a loaf of dough filled with pecans, walnuts, and raising, all bound together with a brown sugar/cinnamon syrup. That was great, but extremely high in carbs... and the dough, once again, tasted a bit strongly of yeast.
I have yet to attempt the rye again... but soon, soon I shall once again meet my bread-esis on the Formica countertop battlefield....

Back
Top Bottom