Any Home Bakers Here?

The instructions from KitchenAid for kneading dough say to use the #2 setting.
The 2 setting was based on the old dough hook from 20 years ago. You can go higher with the one they sell now. The new one looks like a pigs tail.

I lower the speed when I add flour so that the flour does not go out of the bowl and then raise it to 4 when it is settled down

I'm going to try to make my own starter. If it doesn't work I might like to try yours. That is if

Who said you killed it silly recently I had to take a crust off mine but removed it carefully and let it warm up allot then.. sook 1/2 cup out then fed it
you would want to give it to a starter murderer. I killed the one Penny Jo gave me. :oops:
I know nothing about starters other then what is posted here. I’ve only ever made white bread. I would like to try english muffins.

Ingredients

1 cup milk
2 tablespoons white sugar
1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
1 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
1 cup cornmeal
1/4 cup melted shortening
6 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt

Directions

Warm the milk in a small saucepan until it bubbles, then remove from heat. Mix in the sugar, stirring until dissolved. Let cool until lukewarm. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.

In a large bowl, combine the milk, yeast mixture, shortening and cornmeal and 3 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Add salt and rest of flour, or enough to make a soft dough. Knead. Place in greased bowl, cover, and let rise.

Punch down. Roll out to about 1/2 inch thick. Cut rounds with biscuit cutter, drinking glass, or empty tuna can. Cover and let rise 1/2 hour.

Brown on skillet medium heat then Bake. Oven temperature to 350°F and bake for 10-15 minutes or until muffins springs back when touched in the center.
Remove the muffins from the pan immediately; place muffins on a wire rack to cool completely.

The 2 setting was based on the old dough hook from 20 years ago. You can go higher with the one they sell now. The new one looks like a pigs tail.

I lower the speed when I add flour so that the flour does not go out of the bowl and then raise it to 4 when it is settled down
Good to know. Couldn't find the manual so I went to their website. Maybe it was an old page. Seemed to work OK at 2 but I'll go to 4 next time once everything is mixed in and see if it makes a difference. Of course since this is my first try at "sandwich bread", I suspect the second time will be better regardless.

My dough hook is a pig-tail and my manual says in (in all caps) "USE SETTING #2 FOR KNEADING DOUGH OR YOU MAY DAMAGE THE MOTOR". If the dough is fairly wet, I use up to a 4 to mix more flour in, but for a heavy bread dough I only use it on 2. Put you hand on teh mixer and see how hot it is getting, you don't want to overheat it.

I don't think the faster speed does any better at kneading than the #2 setting anyway. When you knead by hand, you definately are not going that fast. You are trying to stretch the gluten fibers not beat in air.

Uh oh, now I have 100% conflicting info! But I guess I'll trust the manual as WyoDreamer cited. Our machine is only about 3 years old and yes, the hook is a pig tail. So far things look to be going reasonably well, the dough is in the glass pans rising and the "loaves" have made it to the top. Recipe says to let them rise until they are 1" above.

Ingredients

1 cup milk
2 tablespoons white sugar
1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
1 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
1 cup cornmeal
1/4 cup melted shortening
6 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt

Directions

Warm the milk in a small saucepan until it bubbles, then remove from heat. Mix in the sugar, stirring until dissolved. Let cool until lukewarm. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.

In a large bowl, combine the milk, yeast mixture, shortening and cornmeal and 3 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Add salt and rest of flour, or enough to make a soft dough. Knead. Place in greased bowl, cover, and let rise.

Punch down. Roll out to about 1/2 inch thick. Cut rounds with biscuit cutter, drinking glass, or empty tuna can. Cover and let rise 1/2 hour.

Brown on skillet medium heat then Bake. Oven temperature to 350°F and bake for 10-15 minutes or until muffins springs back when touched in the center.
Remove the muffins from the pan immediately; place muffins on a wire rack to cool completely.
Thanks! I think this is what you printed out for me. I still have it.

Uh oh, now I have 100% conflicting info! But I guess I'll trust the manual as WyoDreamer cited. Our machine is only about 3 years old and yes, the hook is a pig tail. So far things look to be going reasonably well, the dough is in the glass pans rising and the "loaves" have made it to the top. Recipe says to let them rise until they are 1" above.
I'm not sure, but think it may also be model dependent. My user manual says #4 for kneading.

Back
Top Bottom