Any Home Bakers Here?

Uh oh, now I have 100% conflicting info! But I guess I'll trust the manual as WyoDreamer cited. Our machine is only about 3 years old and yes, the hook is a pig tail. So far things look to be going reasonably well, the dough is in the glass pans rising and the "loaves" have made it to the top. Recipe says to let them rise until they are 1" above.

Looking forward to seeing how your bread works out Bruce!

Okay first try at pullman pans little loaf is great big one first it was to big took some out but I guess to much made biscuits of what I removed
005.jpg
006.jpg
007.jpg

Good to know. Couldn't find the manual so I went to their website. Maybe it was an old page. Seemed to work OK at 2 but I'll go to 4 next time once everything is mixed in and see if it makes a difference. Of course since this is my first try at "sandwich bread", I suspect the second time will be better regardless.
Bread baking does take some practice and time! Of course the results of that practice are very tasty!

My dough hook is a pig-tail and my manual says in (in all caps) "USE SETTING #2 FOR KNEADING DOUGH OR YOU MAY DAMAGE THE MOTOR". If the dough is fairly wet, I use up to a 4 to mix more flour in, but for a heavy bread dough I only use it on 2. Put you hand on teh mixer and see how hot it is getting, you don't want to overheat it.

I don't think the faster speed does any better at kneading than the #2 setting anyway. When you knead by hand, you definately are not going that fast. You are trying to stretch the gluten fibers not beat in air.
The damage the motor part would be for recipes over 3 cups of water in the 6 qt. Some of the newer mixers have a plastic gear(at least they did about 7 years ago) that can break. I broke mine and they had a mail in exchange system. The new one came back with a metal gear!

I hope they have that now.

What should happen with the motor is that it will shut off if it gets too hot. My old mixer did that! but it did not hurt the motor. My new mixer from costco has a DC motor that is more energy efficient, runs cooler and is quieter. It is also more powerful too.

Basically it depends on your mixer. An older member of our church that worked at a bakery using the old hobart mixers told me I was crazy for using the slow kneed function. He said he would have been fired going that slow!

Of course those mixers were beasts

Ingredients

1 cup milk
2 tablespoons white sugar
1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
1 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
1 cup cornmeal
1/4 cup melted shortening
6 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt

Directions

Warm the milk in a small saucepan until it bubbles, then remove from heat. Mix in the sugar, stirring until dissolved. Let cool until lukewarm. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.

In a large bowl, combine the milk, yeast mixture, shortening and cornmeal and 3 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Add salt and rest of flour, or enough to make a soft dough. Knead. Place in greased bowl, cover, and let rise.

Punch down. Roll out to about 1/2 inch thick. Cut rounds with biscuit cutter, drinking glass, or empty tuna can. Cover and let rise 1/2 hour.

Brown on skillet medium heat then Bake. Oven temperature to 350°F and bake for 10-15 minutes or until muffins springs back when touched in the center.
Remove the muffins from the pan immediately; place muffins on a wire rack to cool completely.
Thanks Penny!

The damage the motor part would be for recipes over 3 cups of water in the 6 qt. Some of the newer mixers have a plastic gear(at least they did about 7 years ago) that can break. I broke mine and they had a mail in exchange system. The new one came back with a metal gear!

I hope they have that now.

What should happen with the motor is that it will shut off if it gets too hot. My old mixer did that! but it did not hurt the motor. My new mixer from costco has a DC motor that is more energy efficient, runs cooler and is quieter. It is also more powerful too.

Basically it depends on your mixer. An older member of our church that worked at a bakery using the old hobart mixers told me I was crazy for using the slow kneed function. He said he would have been fired going that slow!

Of course those mixers were beasts

We have a Hobart mixer at the golf course restaurant. Bought it new when I was making all the sandwich buns and such. It IS a beast, but man, that's a great mixer that powers through a lot of dough. Not really practical for just home use, but great fun to use for volume. A Hobart mixer makes a KA mixer look like a kiddy toy.

I'm not sure, but think it may also be model dependent. My user manual says #4 for kneading.
Ours is a KitchenAid Artisan tilt head. KSM150 stainless 5 qt bowl. And the worthless splash guard of course.

The bread came out OK, didn't rise as much as I'd hoped, only to the top of the glass pan and then only in the middle. Definitely not the smooth top and ends of a "proper" loaf of sandwich bread. Tastes fine, might be a bit more dense than it should be but I'm not sure. Brought the lemons back from my sister's tree.
DSCN1968.JPG

Back
Top Bottom