Any Home Bakers Here?

@ronott1 or @nfc
our starter never fired off for me. I really appreciated the effort but it was easier to start my own culture from locally sourced whole grain flour here. We have gone back to yeast in this household just because it's easier even though it doesn't taste the same. the price was definitely right just a self-addressed stamped envelope!

My environment is probably unique being 20 miles from the coast and quite salty.

the only thing I wish to stop is the fact that most of my bread falls in the oven. I probably should be making my dough thicker.

If anyone has an idea how to stop my bread from falling I am all ears... I usually bake after the third punch down and during the fourth rise.

Last edited:
@ronott1 or @nfc
our starter never fired off for me. I really appreciated the effort but it was easier to start my own culture from locally sourced whole grain flour here. We have gone back to yeast in this household just because it's easier even though it doesn't taste the same. the price was definitely right just a self-addressed stamped envelope!

My environment is probably unique being 20 miles from the coast and quite salty.

the only thing I wish to stop is the fact that most of my bread falls in the oven. I probably should be making my dough thicker.

If anyone has an idea how to stop my bread from falling I am all ears... I usually bake after the third punch down and during the fourth rise.
You are at sea level? You do not need to rise the bread that much. extra rising is better for high elevation.

Gluten might not be developing enough and you may be using southern flour that is good for biscuits but not for bread. Look for hard red wheat flour. Soft wheat flour is not as good for baking bread and yes, add enough flour to make a dough that is not sticky. This depends on the water content of the flour.

Screenshot_20200326-073436.png

Thank goodness I stocked up on food yesterday!

Yep! It is time to stir it all up and add more water and flour!

After is bubbles one more time, it is ready for baking or go into the fridge. Try to use it each week to keep it active. The more it is used the more it will give you
Question about this: the instructions you gave me said to add flour and water, leave out overnight and stir in the morning. I should do this twice before using?

Question about this: the instructions you gave me said to add flour and water, leave out overnight and stir in the morning. I should do this twice before using?
Add more flour and water the next morning. If the starter rises in the jar and there is a sour smell, then make crumpets or pancakes and replenish the starter. It should rise up again in a couple hours. When it rises again close the lid and pop it into the fridge.

Follow the instructions for taking the starter out to warm up once a week and make something with it. Usually once a week is good but you can go a month or so in the fridge and it will be fine.

Starter is very tough!

Add more flour and water the next morning. If the starter rises in the jar and there is a sour smell, then make crumpets or pancakes and replenish the starter. It should rise up again in a couple hours. When it rises again close the lid and pop it into the fridge.

Follow the instructions for taking the starter out to warm up once a week and make something with it. Usually once a week is good but you can go a month or so in the fridge and it will be fine.

Starter is very tough!
Gotcha. How much of each do you normally add? A cup?

Gotcha. How much of each do you normally add? A cup?
It depends on how much I use for normal replenishing. For the rehydrating part, I would add a half cup of flour and a bit less of warm water at the first 12 hour mark and stir it up. Do not worry if it is a bit clumpy as it will smooth out as the starter digests the flour. If it is having trouble getting going, I would toss all but half of what is in the jar and then add a cup of flour and 3\4 cups of warm water at the next 12 hours. It is usually going well after the second rehydrating feeding though with the starts I send out.

I like a thicker starter so do not use one to one in the starter. I actually adjust the ratio based on how thick the starter is.

Back
Top Bottom