Any Home Bakers Here?

We had been grazing left overs throughout the day yesterday so we were looking for a light dinner... We had a bowl of store bought tomatoes that were heading south so Creamy Tomato Basil Soup was the choice we made.

This time out I made modifications based upon other recipes we've used. We blanched, shocked and peeled the tomatoes, then deseeded them and chopped them up. Put a little Olive oil in the bottom of the pan, added the chopped tomatoes. Added 1 tsp Thyme, 1 tsp red pepper flake and 1/2 tsp chipolte pepper and a flowery stem from the basil plant. Didn't have tomato juice with pulp, so we used a quart of vegetable stock (made like v8 in a steam juicer, no pulp) and an 8oz can of tomato sauce, cut up about 18 leaves of basil (chiffonade). Stirred it altogether and brought it up to a boil and then simmered for 30 minutes. (stick blender is broken so...) lifted out the solids with a wire strainer and plopped them into the food processor for about 3 minutes until smooth, then poured back into the pot. Added one cup of heavy cream and 1/2 cup of butter on low until heated through. Served up with Basil as a garnish along side some grilled cheese sandwiches for dipping.

It was yum.

Your soup sounds delicious! :drool And just perfect for a wintery dinner.

Growing up we always enjoyed these beautiful coconut squares. We always referred to the a the Boy’s Square‘s. I got the recipe from my 85 year old mother and tried it today for the first time. I’ll have to get it written out properly and post it in the next few days. My dad is 88 and is very ill I’ve been taking him to dialysis for the last 3 weeks. So he loves these and wanted some On his better days. Hmm wonder what happened to the 2 in the corner? Lol
edit} This is the double batch amounts I used It took over 45 min to cook the topping. To my liking. I prefer this type of baking on the crispy side. this is the first time I baked this and i will have to time it the next batch.

These are LOW cal too!
😜

The bottom crust has 1 cup of shortening, 2 cups flour, 1 cup brown sugar, blend/cream together press in a 9x13 pan, bake in a 350f oven until golden brown.
While the crust is cooking mix2 cups brown sugar, 4 eggs, 2 tsp vanilla, 1 tsp salt, 2 tsp baking powder, 4 tablespoons of flour and 2 cups of sweetened coconut short cut or fine cut. Mix with a blender until smooth. Add to hot crust after the crust is golden brown. put back in 350f oven bake until golden brown. We prefer ours cooked until the edges are crunchier.

Attachments

• 756A6BAA-5EEB-47F8-B89D-24D19EFEC525.jpeg
    756A6BAA-5EEB-47F8-B89D-24D19EFEC525.jpeg
    442.9 KB · Views: 2
  • CDB43519-07E7-4608-8920-815F2D11D217.jpeg
    CDB43519-07E7-4608-8920-815F2D11D217.jpeg
    413.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 015B762A-99AD-4CA6-A9FC-91C442E45CB8.jpeg
    015B762A-99AD-4CA6-A9FC-91C442E45CB8.jpeg
    609 KB · Views: 3
  • F74E2749-B687-40B2-BB60-A555FB8BE4EE.jpeg
    F74E2749-B687-40B2-BB60-A555FB8BE4EE.jpeg
    565.5 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Thank you all for the support. To be honest, I’m more concerned about his wife. Obviously, I can’t go anywhere due to COVID-19, I don’t want to risk exposing myself.

Trying to figure out what I can do to help her from a distance.
That's thoughtful of you. A nice card is always appreciated. A little bouquet of silk with a card saying something like "I'm thinking of you," can bring a lot of comfort. Silk because it doesn't require care like a living plant.

My neighbor ...the family that shops...called and said they are calling and
will be bringing me a piece of Baked Lasanga round 6. Nice to have
such caring neighbors. I have a loaf of Sourdough Multigrain Seeded Fresh Bread for them in return. Thanks ALL for your kind words and prayers.
Aria and a VERY ILL Floyd.
I'm not on here often enough to feel that I know you or Floyd, but I will add my prayers for you and your Floyd. I do not know what ails him or what he needs, but our God does. May He be very near to both of you and make His presence known in peace, comfort, strength, faith, and courage.

Back
Top Bottom