Any Home Bakers Here?

Since we are bringing up regional.

Soda or Pop ? Say the P word down here and all these rednecks will spit tabaccer on your shoe! :D My aunt used to get mad ITS SODA NOT POP !!!!!

My neice was over once, she had a jack in the box, I was cranking it and kind of dum dumm ing along the tune. At the end I go SODA GOES THE WEASEL !!! It took her a minute to figure out what I done but my aunt smacked the hell out of me for it heh :p

Aaron
We have a lot of diversity so I hear both Soda, pop and some even say all sodas are coke!

Like what kind of coke do you want? Root beer?

Last edited:
Dh puts ketchup on just about any potato except mashed. We were at a restaurant and he ordered the home fries. He was surprised that he had to ask for ketchup; said every waitress in Pittsburgh put ketchup on the table when serving potatoes.

Quick poll: Anyone besides R2elk spell it "catsup"? Is it a regional thing? I almost never see it that way here in Michigan.
SW PA is definitely put ketchup on french fries. A small town cafe in Wyoming is the only place I had ever gotten french fries with gravy on them.

Catsup takes one less letter to spell than ketchup.

"When Did Catsup Become Ketchup?
Up until the late 1800s what we now know as ketchup was referred to as catsup. In fact, it was only in the 1880s that this name change happened, and it was all thanks to one of the biggest companies in the condiments industry, Heinz. Prior to the 1880s, everybody referred to 'ketchup' as 'catsup' as this is what this sauce was traditionally called. This might come as a surprise to some people because it is easy to assume that ketchup is a recent invention, but this tomato sauce has actually been around for centuries. In the 1880s, Heinz rebranded their 'catsup', giving it the name 'ketchup' instead in order to stand out from their competitors. And it is safe to say that the name stuck. Since then pretty much every condiments manufacturer has adopted the name ketchup, and the name 'catsup' has been forgotten as a thing of the past."

Apparently it's an old folks thing.

SW PA is definitely put ketchup on french fries. A small town cafe in Wyoming is the only place I had ever gotten french fries with gravy on them.

Catsup takes one less letter to spell than ketchup.

"When Did Catsup Become Ketchup?
Up until the late 1800s what we now know as ketchup was referred to as catsup. In fact, it was only in the 1880s that this name change happened, and it was all thanks to one of the biggest companies in the condiments industry, Heinz. Prior to the 1880s, everybody referred to 'ketchup' as 'catsup' as this is what this sauce was traditionally called. This might come as a surprise to some people because it is easy to assume that ketchup is a recent invention, but this tomato sauce has actually been around for centuries. In the 1880s, Heinz rebranded their 'catsup', giving it the name 'ketchup' instead in order to stand out from their competitors. And it is safe to say that the name stuck. Since then pretty much every condiments manufacturer has adopted the name ketchup, and the name 'catsup' has been forgotten as a thing of the past."

Apparently it's an old folks thing.
I prefer Chilli Sauce.. (Heinz) Aria

I can't remember all the details, it was long ago, but there was a company that tried to market a better 'catsup' instead of the usual sugar, they used honey instead. Well the catsup industry, for lack of a better word, sued them and won, forcing them to take the word catsup out of it's name, because it did NOT have sugar in it, therefore was not catsup, or call it imitation catsup. Needless to say it didn't last long after that.

Aaron

Re: Gravy

My mom thought she had wrecked the gravy because she didn't know to keep cooking and stirring after adding the flour/water. A quick stir... didn't look like gravy, and she threw it out. She told me she probably threw out a few years' worth of potential gravy.

Dh puts ketchup on scrambled eggs.

Dh puts ketchup on just about any potato except mashed. We were at a restaurant and he ordered the home fries. He was surprised that he had to ask for ketchup; said every waitress in Pittsburgh put ketchup on the table when serving potatoes.

Quick poll: Anyone besides R2elk spell it "catsup"? Is it a regional thing? I almost never see it that way here in Michigan.

In West Virginia they used "catsup".

Back
Top Bottom