Any Home Bakers Here?

We used to have a lot of power outages here, so a wood stove you can also cook on is a plus. We haven’t had those major long term outages for a few years thanks to all that is holy. Our biggest issue was water, we have a well so no way to draw water or flush toilets. Then came the generator which allowed us to draw water, get everything flushed and keep the freezer cold.
Since this is the baking thread I should have an amusing anecdote about making biscuits in a Dutch oven. Well I don’t.

What happened to the Dutch oven I did have may be amusing though, considering all the talk about firewood. One evening I had cut up some beef to brown and make into something, and I decided to sprinkle some garlic powder on it. Of course I opened the spoon side and not the sprinkle side so half a container of garlic powder goes into the pan. It made me so mad I took that pan to the door and yelled “Bye bye dinner” and threw that sucker into the yard as hard as I could. It landed right onto a pile of firewood, broke in half and threw little beef cubes all over. My son who was about 5 started eating them and DH who was putting the locks into the new garage people door was screaming at me because he was locked in and didn’t know if the kid was eating raw meat. What was funny about that is that the big door to the garage you opened to drive the car in hadn’t been delivered yet. I mean the whole south side of the garage was wide open!
We still laugh about that.

We used to have a lot of power outages here, so a wood stove you can also cook on is a plus. We haven’t had those major long term outages for a few years thanks to all that is holy. Our biggest issue was water, we have a well so no way to draw water or flush toilets. Then came the generator which allowed us to draw water, get everything flushed and keep the freezer cold.
Since this is the baking thread I should have an amusing anecdote about making biscuits in a Dutch oven. Well I don’t.

What happened to the Dutch oven I did have may be amusing though, considering all the talk about firewood. One evening I had cut up some beef to brown and make into something, and I decided to sprinkle some garlic powder on it. Of course I opened the spoon side and not the sprinkle side so half a container of garlic powder goes into the pan. It made me so mad I took that pan to the door and yelled “Bye bye dinner” and threw that sucker into the yard as hard as I could. It landed right onto a pile of firewood, broke in half and threw little beef cubes all over. My son who was about 5 started eating them and DH who was putting the locks into the new garage people door was screaming at me because he was locked in and didn’t know if the kid was eating raw meat. What was funny about that is that the big door to the garage you opened to drive the car in hadn’t been delivered yet. I mean the whole south side of the garage was wide open!
We still laugh about that.
Thank you, that's hilarious!

His degree was actually in Industrial Power and Control, so he made things work in spite of engineers! But yes, he’s an engineer born and bred.
too funny! I have my grandmother's cast iron Dutch oven, and have baked on the wood stove in power outage. Our kitchen stove is gas, but oven won't work in outage, just cooktop. We fill bathtub with water to use for flushing when storm is predicted. Well pump is electric. We use the generator for the fridge and huge freezer.

Back
Top Bottom