Any Home Bakers Here?

I have a follow up question. I was in the store today and I saw some MASSIVE rutabagas. Does anyone happen to know what those are used for?
To me they taste a lot like a turnip but milder. I use them in soups and stews. They are pretty tough so long cook times works well with them.

So why do I see big dandelion leaves for sale in the store? :idunno
This is only my observation. The dandelions in the lawn and such, tend to have somewhat short leaves. Those that grow in my garden in soft soil, grow HUGE. When I do pull those out,, the root is also quite thick and long. Those out of the lawn,,,, the root is generally much skinnier,
Sally,, are you sure that you are looking at dandelion at the store?? A close look alike are chicory greens. I see them growing wild about ½ mile from me next to some abandoned RR tracks. I once approached a couple ( Hubby, and spouse) picking them,,, and inquired about the greens they were gathering.
1651260658621.png

I have a follow up question. I was in the store today and I saw some MASSIVE rutabagas. Does anyone happen to know what those are used for?
My grandmother loved mashed rutabaga. Thanks for making me think of her today. :)
Sally,, are you sure that you are looking at dandelion at the store
They were labeled as such, and looked like them, so I guess so...? I'm going to have to get some out of the garden and try them. I will report my findings, but it won't be for a few days yet.

Back
Top Bottom