Any Home Bakers Here?

Good morning bakers. I hope you’re all well! I’ve been busy with the garden and haven’t done any baking except a batch of chocolate chip cookies last weekend.

I was wondering if any of you have used frozen or water glassed eggs for baking? If so, were the results the same as using fresh eggs?
I have not used those types of preserved eggs!

I baked a round sourdough bread today.

I was wondering if any of you have used frozen or water glassed eggs for baking? If so, were the results the same as using fresh eggs?
:pop

I'm going to try waterglassing eggs this summer. I foresee an egg drought this winter, as the hens are 2 years old now, and the pullets will become hens in a month.

I'm pretty sure @DobieLover has waterglassed eggs and uses them in her frittatas...?

Good morning bakers. I hope you’re all well! I’ve been busy with the garden and haven’t done any baking except a batch of chocolate chip cookies last weekend.

I freeze and dry eggs. Have used frozen eggs for basic baking where the egg is merely a binder. Dried I use almost like a protein additive to softer things similar to cream of wheat or MaltoMeal type stuff.

Some say you can reconstitute dried eggs and scramble them up but I've never tried. Frozen eggs can be done a few different ways depending on what type of cooking or baking you intend to do with them later.
Are they as good as fresh ones from our (collective our) own hens? No. Are they as good as grocery stores eggs in say... some simple muffins? Yes.

:pop

I'm going to try waterglassing eggs this summer. I foresee an egg drought this winter, as the hens are 2 years old now, and the pullets will become hens in a month.

I'm pretty sure @DobieLover has waterglassed eggs and uses them in her frittatas...?
I’m planning to do the same, at least once my girls start laying. I figure it’s a good skill to have and I’d like a practice run when I’m not dependent on them. We’ll have to compare notes.
I freeze and dry eggs. Have used frozen eggs for basic baking where the egg is merely a binder. Dried I use almost like a protein additive to softer things similar to cream of wheat or MaltoMeal type stuff.

Some say you can reconstitute dried eggs and scramble them up but I've never tried. Frozen eggs can be done a few different ways depending on what type of cooking or baking you intend to do with them later.
Are they as good as fresh ones from our (collective our) own hens? No. Are they as good as grocery stores eggs in say... some simple muffins? Yes.
Thanks for this info! How do you dry them? Scramble, dehydrate and store?

I’m planning to do the same, at least once my girls start laying. I figure it’s a good skill to have and I’d like a practice run when I’m not dependent on them. We’ll have to compare notes.

Thanks for this info! How do you dry them? Scramble, dehydrate and store?
I make some wax paper trays with a small lip for the dehydrator.
Whisk the intended raw eggs well so they spread smooth on the paper.
Fill trays until egg mixture almost reaches the edges, and dehydrate.

There will be some moisture from the fat in the eggs, so I crumble the dried eggs up and put them in the freezer. Somewhere I had a chart for the equivalent of dried egg/water needed to equal 1 egg, I'll dig for it.

Lately I just crack eggs and freeze whole. The yolks get a bit congealed that way, but since the intended recipes will be mixed with a mixer when the eggs are thawed, it doesn't matter. Ideally one is supposed to beat an egg with a fork before freezing.

Back
Top Bottom