Any Home Bakers Here?

Yeah this starter gets "fed" sugar and potato flakes which makes it sweet without making it sweet when you make the bread.
@ronott1 Gave you good advice, as he mastered Sourdough :thumbsup . I just wanted to suggest that viewing your recipe,,, switch to teaspoon instead of table spoon of salt.
I also see that your bread is low hydration,, which makes it a more firm loaf.

I have been experimenting with hydration amounts,, and now I like what results from 50% hydration. :old

I mostly bake yeast breads, (commercial yeast) I do save whey from my cheese making. I substitute some of it for the liquid portion. Gives bread a nice hint of sour flavor. Cheating around using sourdough starter:idunno

@ronott1 Gave you good advice, as he mastered Sourdough :thumbsup . I just wanted to suggest that viewing your recipe,,, switch to teaspoon instead of table spoon of salt.

I have been experimenting with hydration amounts,, and now I like what results from 50% hydration. :old

I mostly bake yeast breads, (commercial yeast) I do save whey from my cheese making. I substitute some of it for the liquid portion. Gives bread a nice hint of sour flavor. Cheating around using sourdough starter:idunno
Yes, a teaspoon to a teaspoon and a half will work much better in that recipe!

It would be fun to play around with hydration in the recipe.

Thank you both @ronott1 so much!
By low hydration what does that mean?

By low hydration what does that mean?
Lower hydration makes a stiffer firmer bread. I like the 50% hydration goal. Makes bread somewhat softer in texture. You can also add milk to your quantity of liquid, That also creates a soft bread.
An exotic Ciabatta I think aims for 70% hydration. It is tricky to work with that dough, but does make an extra fluffy bread texture.

I just enjoy experimenting with different recipes. :thumbsup

The mold on my yogurt starter, part deux...

I saved two batches of yogurt starter last time, one plain, and one with some honey in it. I last made yogurt about 3 weeks ago, I think. The one with honey had just started to grow fuzz, the plain one was clean. :idunno

I made yogurt yesterday, using both (cleaning off the fuzz, and taking out half of the yogurt in the jar). I washed the starter jar in the dishwasher, even though it was already washed and on the shelf. It's half full of plain starter, in the fridge. We'll see if it grows fuzz in the next few weeks.

But man oh man, my yogurt is delicious! SOOOO MUCH BETTER than the stuff in the store.

Lower hydration makes a stiffer firmer bread. I like the 50% hydration goal. Makes bread somewhat softer in texture. You can also add milk to your quantity of liquid, That also creates a soft bread.
An exotic Ciabatta I think aims for 70% hydration. It is tricky to work with that dough, but does make an extra fluffy bread texture.

I just enjoy experimenting with different recipes. :thumbsup
Ok that makes sense...I at one day old it actually was just like store bought bread which was nice since I was craving PB sandwich LOL! It was delish!
To make it more hydrated do you add extra ¼ cup of milk or what exactly? And is that added to the starter or the dough for baking that batch?

Back
Top Bottom