Any Home Bakers Here?

I messed up my SD bread and am starting over. I forgot to do the stretch-and-fold part yesterday before putting it on the warm back porch to rise overnight (it was about 80°F in the afternoon when I set it out). I couldn't figure out why it had such an awful, sticky texture when I got up this morning and was ready to shape it. I pitched it and started over.

Sometimes I have to add flour to my dough recipe if it is very humid here. When I do, it changes the flavor of the finished product because the salt proportion is changed, and that bothers me. Tonight I figured out how to correct that. I set aside an additional cup of flour for "in case" I might need it. I stirred in 1/2 tsp salt, as that was the proportion of salt to the base recipe (1 Tbsp salt to approx 6 c. flour). At least I think I did the math correctly .... I did need to add about half that extra cup of flour, and I am confident the addition of that flour did not throw my flavors off. Win! (But I won't know for certain until tomorrow when I taste it!) :oops:
The salt helps with the dough structure too!

Portuguese sweet rice: fills up a casserole dish
1/2 gallon whole milk
1 1/2 cup white sugar
pinch of salt
2 cups of river rice
2 tablespoons butter
1 lemon
6 egg yolks
vanilla

1: rinse rice in water until clear
2: take four quart saucepan, add rinsed rice, 1 1/2 cups of sugar, 1/2 gallon milk, pinch of salt, lemon rind, two tablespoons of vanilla
3: keep on medium heat, stir until sugar dissolves
4: add butter, keep stirring, keep on low heat, (you'll end up stirring for about 30 minutes). rice will get thicker and thicker
5: once rice is cooked and absorbed milk, set aside
6: take six egg yolks, with the juice of a whole lemon, and beat it together.
7:take two cups of the hot rice in a bowl, pour eggs into that. mix it really good.
8: put the rice back into saucepan.
9: put back on low heat, and bring to boil, constantly stirring it. when it comes to a bubble, let do so for two minutes, constantly stirring.
10: place in casserole plate, sprinkle cinnamon on top. let set for hour, and place in fridge

Portuguese sweet rice: fills up a casserole dish
1/2 gallon whole milk
1 1/2 cup white sugar
pinch of salt
2 cups of river rice
2 tablespoons butter
1 lemon
6 egg yolks
vanilla

1: rinse rice in water until clear
2: take four quart saucepan, add rinsed rice, 1 1/2 cups of sugar, 1/2 gallon milk, pinch of salt, lemon rind, two tablespoons of vanilla
3: keep on medium heat, stir until sugar dissolves
4: add butter, keep stirring, keep on low heat, (you'll end up stirring for about 30 minutes). rice will get thicker and thicker
5: once rice is cooked and absorbed milk, set aside
6: take six egg yolks, with the juice of a whole lemon, and beat it together.
7:take two cups of the hot rice in a bowl, pour eggs into that. mix it really good.
8: put the rice back into saucepan.
9: put back on low heat, and bring to boil, constantly stirring it. when it comes to a bubble, let do so for two minutes, constantly stirring.
10: place in casserole plate, sprinkle cinnamon on top. let set for hour, and place in fridge
Your recipe resembles rice pudding. I had to look up River Rice.... Pricey, for sure,,, but a good product will carry a good price tag. :idunno
Wonder how this recipe would come out using entry level price rice,, like Jasmine rice???
I have not made sweet rice dishes, although some family members do make the rice pudding.
I may give this one a test-drive with regular rice. I will also cut recipe in half for maiden voyage.
Thanks for the recipe. :frow Ron usually slips them into the index when he gets a chance.

Your recipe resembles rice pudding. I had to look up River Rice.... Pricey, for sure,,, but a good product will carry a good price tag. :idunno
Wonder how this recipe would come out using entry level price rice,, like Jasmine rice???
I have not made sweet rice dishes, although some family members do make the rice pudding.
I may give this one a test-drive with regular rice. I will also cut recipe in half for maiden voyage.
Thanks for the recipe. :frow Ron usually slips them into the index when he gets a chance.
Yep.

Back
Top Bottom