Any Home Bakers Here?

I baked Challah . very soft ,and delish.
I have a few recipes on hand. I combined the ideas from those and put my own together. I substituted the water with milk. I also adjusted the amount of butter to suit me. and amount of eggs.
Oh, not to forget, the size of this bake. It makes 4 bread pans as seen. Everything can be cut in half to make smaller order.

My ingredients.
2 cups milk, ( warm to 110°F to proof yeast.)
½ cup of butter. (one stick) melted and cool
8 cups of flour. (I used All purpose)
1/4 cup Regular sugar
1/4 cup Brown sugar
4 eggs
1 TBS salt
2 TBS yeast. (2 envelopes is equivalent)
+ 1 egg for whole egg wash
Play by play.
Mixed all the wet ingredients plus sugar, first in my stand mixer. I then added the sifted flour and salt mix, a cup at a time as the mixer was kneading. I like to mix slowly and well. This is how the consistency looked after adding most of flour. (about 7 cups.) Final cup I used on breadboard to hand knead the dough after first proofing.
View attachment 3677796
This is how well the first rise took off. , About 50 minutes.
View attachment 3677797
I kneaded the final cup into dough so to create a workable style rolls.
View attachment 3677798
I divided my total into 4 portions, and then started to make individual loaves. I used 2 different style of braiding,, just for fun.
View attachment 3677799
My 4 loaves braided and Whole Egg washed. waiting for second rise. (not very long)
View attachment 3677800View attachment 3677801View attachment 3677802View attachment 3677803View attachment 3677804
Bakes @ 350°F for 35 minutes. internal temp shows 211°F on my thermometer. Indicates baking is done.
View attachment 3677805
Out of oven. The Coppertone color is a result of using Whole egg wash. (yolk, and white, with a dash (1 Tbs :idunno ) of milk)
View attachment 3677806
On cooling rack
View attachment 3677807
Turned out Beautiful and Soft and delish.:drool:drool:drool
View attachment 3677808
Notes.
I know traditional Challah is usually baked on a flat stone like below picture. I have done it both ways. I like doing it in pans because multiple loaves fit easily into my oven space at same baking.

Pix below is from Online. (not mine)
View attachment 3677848
Thanks for the recipe and baking blog!

I baked Challah . very soft ,and delish.
I have a few recipes on hand. I combined the ideas from those and put my own together. I substituted the water with milk. I also adjusted the amount of butter to suit me. and amount of eggs.
Oh, not to forget, the size of this bake. It makes 4 bread pans as seen. Everything can be cut in half to make smaller order.

My ingredients.
2 cups milk, ( warm to 110°F to proof yeast.)
½ cup of butter. (one stick) melted and cool
8 cups of flour. (I used All purpose)
1/4 cup Regular sugar
1/4 cup Brown sugar
4 eggs
1 TBS salt
2 TBS yeast. (2 envelopes is equivalent)
+ 1 egg for whole egg wash
Play by play.
Mixed all the wet ingredients plus sugar, first in my stand mixer. I then added the sifted flour and salt mix, a cup at a time as the mixer was kneading. I like to mix slowly and well. This is how the consistency looked after adding most of flour. (about 7 cups.) Final cup I used on breadboard to hand knead the dough after first proofing.
View attachment 3677796
This is how well the first rise took off. , About 50 minutes.
View attachment 3677797
I kneaded the final cup into dough so to create a workable style rolls.
View attachment 3677798
I divided my total into 4 portions, and then started to make individual loaves. I used 2 different style of braiding,, just for fun.
View attachment 3677799
My 4 loaves braided and Whole Egg washed. waiting for second rise. (not very long)
View attachment 3677800View attachment 3677801View attachment 3677802View attachment 3677803View attachment 3677804
Bakes @ 350°F for 35 minutes. internal temp shows 211°F on my thermometer. Indicates baking is done.
View attachment 3677805
Out of oven. The Coppertone color is a result of using Whole egg wash. (yolk, and white, with a dash (1 Tbs :idunno ) of milk)
View attachment 3677806
On cooling rack
View attachment 3677807
Turned out Beautiful and Soft and delish.:drool:drool:drool
View attachment 3677808
Notes.
I know traditional Challah is usually baked on a flat stone like below picture. I have done it both ways. I like doing it in pans because multiple loaves fit easily into my oven space at same baking.

Pix below is from Online. (not mine)
View attachment 3677848
Absolutely lovely 🥰

Interesting story.

For the past couple of weeks, we’ve occasionally heard a “ribbit” in our bathroom. We knew there was a frog in there, but we could not find it. We’ve been trying for weeks to find it. It sounded like it came from the drain pipe.

Today, we finally found the frog.

IMG_1067.jpeg

Glad we found him. He was becoming an annoyance, and I bet he was hungry or something. He was probably looking for shelter from the cold.

I was able to release him outside in a place he could get a shelter.

How he got in the house, we don’t know. He was covered in a little bit of hair with gunk on it, so I think he came through the drain pipe.

We don’t know.

Rich: Niiice! 👍
Jared: Very cool. We've had frogs and/ or toads find their way into our basement from time to time over the years. We think they come in through a small crack under the door. We don't mind having them as they keep the cricket population under control during early fall when the crickets are looking for a warm place to call home, lol. We try to get along with nature although we would def draw the line at having a bear or cougar try to move in! 🤣

Walnut is stringy too. Hubby tried to split some by hand, and said it wasn't worth his effort. So we saved those until we rented a wood splitter.
Oh, I would rather save walnut for a sawmill ;) Not that I have one, or have need of one.

I don’t know if this recipe is in the index or not. However, I will post it anyway.

View attachment 3673383

It’s a Japanese recipe.
DD2 really likes Katsudon

There are two main sizes so you just have to make sure you have the right one or have both that are easily interchangeable.
Yes, though it may be different in Germany. Certainly it wouldn't be the same balls as we have in the USA since we haven't learned the metric system yet.

Also, I found this while I was in the crawlspace underneath my house. A member of another forum was able to date it to 1937.
Wow! You find the most interesting stuff. You are a magnet.

Well, it’s official. I was wrong and my car is completely busted.

The engine is damaged in such a way that we are losing compression. As a result, the car will not start. I’m pretty sure there’s permanent engine damage.

Oh well. At least I tried and I learned how to replace a timing belt!
Learning is good, sorry it is dead. Though it is never REALLY dead, it just depends on how much money one wants to spend.

Paella is done.
Looks great and you did such a fancy job of placing the seafood in it!

@Aria I don’t think you are a “sissie” either. As @pennyJo1960 said, you are strong and resilient.
Agreed!!!!!

I baked 2 different Cobbler's
These are made with Packet Cake mixes, and canned fruit. so not a recipe,,, just an IDEA. and DELISH.:drool:drool:drool
I used Pillsbury's Chocolate Cake Mix, and Lemon Cake Mix.
1 can of Fried Apples, and 1 can of Pineapple Tidbits.
I dusted the top of lemon cake before baking with powdered sugar.
IMG_20231104_180850932.jpg

I did same with the Chocolate cake. Below pix is already baked.
IMG_20231104_190010030.jpg

The lemon cake with apples already baked.
IMG_20231104_190015961.jpg

Served ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, a la mode... :drool:drool:drool just out of the oven.:thumbsup
IMG_20231104_190237799.jpg

I made slightly larger portion for self:old:drool:drool:drool Cobbler still quite warm
IMG_20231104_190509288.jpg

I also sliced into individual bites, and shared. These are cooled portions. I dusted with powdered sugar for visual appeal.:yesss:
IMG_20231105_143344683.jpg

I baked 2 different Cobbler's
These are made with Packet Cake mixes, and canned fruit. so not a recipe,,, just an IDEA. and DELISH.:drool:drool:drool
I used Pillsbury's Chocolate Cake Mix, and Lemon Cake Mix.
1 can of Fried Apples, and 1 can of Pineapple Tidbits.
I dusted the top of lemon cake before baking with powdered sugar.
View attachment 3678648
I did same with the Chocolate cake. Below pix is already baked.
View attachment 3678650
The lemon cake with apples already baked.
View attachment 3678651
Served ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, a la mode... :drool:drool:drool just out of the oven.:thumbsup
View attachment 3678653
I made slightly larger portion for self:old:drool:drool:drool Cobbler still quite warm
View attachment 3678654
I also sliced into individual bites, and shared. These are cooled portions. I dusted with powdered sugar for visual appeal.:yesss:
View attachment 3678661
It looks very tasty!

Back
Top Bottom