Any Home Bakers Here?

I just looked up the time... 25 minutes at 11 pounds of pressure... really? I was going to guess it would be more like 45-60.

Also, I got a new canner with a weighted gauge, so it's going to be 15 pounds. I have my choice of 5, 10, or 15.
You likely correct for bone broth. The bones have to become soft and rubbery which usually take about an hour in the instant pot at high pressure.

We're currently trying to figure out how to install a fire place or wood burner in our new home. Our living room is narrow and long so it's wonky and not really conducive to one 😭
Wood stove or pellet stove. Fireplaces are too inefficient. A good pellet stove with it's auto igniter can be put on a thermostat offering a nice even heat as long as the pellets don't run out.

A wood stove is nice heat but is cyclical. The temperature goes up when you add wood to the fire and goes down as the wood burns low before the next addition.

Wood stove or pellet stove. Fireplaces are too inefficient. A good pellet stove with it's auto igniter can be put on a thermostat offering a nice even heat as long as the pellets don't run out.

A wood stove is nice heat but is cyclical. The temperature goes up when you add wood to the fire and goes down as the wood burns low before the next addition.
Of course if you live where corn is cheap, they make pellets type stoves specifically for burning corn.

You likely correct for bone broth. The bones have to become soft and rubbery which usually take about an hour in the instant pot at high pressure.
I've made the broth in my Instant Pot. (I cook it for 2 hours.) I was surprised at the 25 minute time for pressure canning the broth in jars. I've never done it before.

I may just freeze it, as usual...

Hubby is gone for a couple days, so I'm going to make bone broth! He hates the smell, so I only do it when he's gone. Which hasn't been for a while. I have 2 turkey carcasses in the freezer, and gobs of vegetable scraps. The freezer will look a bit bare when I get done.

I haven't decided whether to freeze (as usual) or pressure can the broth when it's done.
I usually do can some/most and then freeze the rest. If my canner is full, and I only have a few more pints/quarts then I will freeze those rather than run the canner again. We had a freezer go down so I've been trying to can more than I freeze. I'd hate to lose all that work.
Plus, if it's canned I can use it right away. Sometimes I don't always plan enough ahead of time to use something out of the freezer. (I'm getting better at planning ahead, but not as good as I'd like to be.)
I just looked up the time... 25 minutes at 11 pounds of pressure... really? I was going to guess it would be more like 45-60.

Also, I got a new canner with a weighted gauge, so it's going to be 15 pounds. I have my choice of 5, 10, or 15.
You would need 75 (pints) or 90 (quarts) minutes if canning meat, but the broth goes much faster.
I've made the broth in my Instant Pot. (I cook it for 2 hours.) I was surprised at the 25 minute time for pressure canning the broth in jars. I've never done it before.

I may just freeze it, as usual...
I like the benefits of having it available both ways....

@CedarLane, do you can bone broth right away, or cool it to skim off the fat?

I like the idea of getting it all done and not having to heat it up again, so I'm leaning toward canning it today.
I've done it both ways. Depends on if I have the time to get it all canned that day. If it has to wait until the next day, I do skim off the fat. One thing I've learned to do is keep stirring it so that the fat gets divided up amongst all the jars rather than having a few jars that end up with the more fat in them (can still happen to some extent but not as much if I keep stirring)

Made sourdough apple fritters and oh my Lanta! 🤤
IMG_20240118_132157.jpg

Back
Top Bottom