Anyone try Red Rangers as egg layers?

I have 6 Red Ranger (from Murray McMurray) pullets, now at around 15 weeks. At least 1 has started to lay, large brown egg and sometimes a huge double yolker. Another is red enough that she may be laying, not sure yet. I have 3 Buff Orpingtons that I got for laying since they have higher likelihood of brooding, the RR were bought for meat but DH said keep the girls since our hens haven't been laying very well (age). Who knows, I may end up keeping the new ones and butchering the older ones in the fall. I got maybe 3 eggs a week since October to now 2-3 per day, don't really know who's laying what except that the color/size of the egg has changed.

Ok, so as promised, I'm back to report on my Red Rangers as layers.

They started laying in mid-December and I'm getting an egg a day from each of them even in the middle of winter with no supplemental light. They lay beautiful large brown eggs, and I'm getting at least one double-yolker a week.

Have had no issues to speak of with them or with production.

I consider this experiment a success and will be keeping my favorite Red Ranger as a layer and selling the rest. :)

Hoe much daylight we’re they getting to start laying in December? Mine are 14 weeks and we get about 11 hours a day of light. I figured I might not get eggs until spring.

Back
Top Bottom