bantam cochins, full size flock?

Duckduckgoosie

Songster
May 27, 2021
Austin, Texas
Things have been too peaceful here lately so of course today I offer to take in the last four chickens an elderly neighbor was needing to rehome.

I was only going to take her three hens but I just could not leave their rooster all alone. So I have the four if them gated off together in my bigger coop.

They are bantam cochins, 3 years old.

The rest of my flock, all full sized, are 5 hens, 1 rooster, and 2 young pullets.

Everyone’s going to “wake up together” in the morning, although separated.

Thoughts? If it doesn’t work I can rehome the bantams together, but they are beautiful and I am hoping we could find a way. It would mean a lot to her if she can visit them and know they’re happy.

My big rooster is pretty calm & not aggressive.

31D8F37D-F990-4F0A-8851-89029C8A7533.jpeg

Attachments

• BE91BF22-8CB6-4E85-8E65-C1297C32053A.jpeg
    BE91BF22-8CB6-4E85-8E65-C1297C32053A.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
Things have been too peaceful here lately so of course today I offer to take in the last four chickens an elderly neighbor was needing to rehome.

I was only going to take her three hens but I just could not leave their rooster all alone. So I have the four if them gated off together in my bigger coop.

The rest of my flock, all full sized, are 5 hens, 1 rooster, and 2 young pullets.

Thoughts? If it doesn’t work I can rehome the bantams together, but they are beautiful and I am hoping we could find a way. It would mean a lot to her if she can visit them and know they’re happy.

View attachment 3428997
If you have to re home the bantams I just might be interested : )

View attachment 3428997
@Chicken poppy

Oh goodness, that feeling when you get good advice here, do it your own way anyway, and hopefully learn something…

“Let everybody out together and see what happens” was the most chaotic way I could have proceeded. Good news- hens seem mostly fine with each other. Bantam roo stuck close to his three girls (I think he’s a really good rooster!) but my rooster charged him twice. I was able to stop him with the broom and spray bottle I had at the ready.

I moved the bantams to the goat pen, thinking that would separate everyone, forgetting my rooster can perch on that fence.

Both roosters proceeded to have an epic crow off from opposite sides of the yard. Sorry neighbors trying to sleep through daylight savings 🫣

Bantam flock is now back in their look don’t touch section of the big coop, my original flock has the yard.

I can’t believe how much chaos I just created.

Back to the slow approach.

Back
Top Bottom