Bantam hen, standard chicks

Jun 2, 2023
How many standard size chicks can I safely give to my bantam size hen? She’s been doing great so far with the 8 she has but I’m worried they won’t fit so well underneath her in a few weeks to be able to keep warm. She’s a bantam cochin for size reference and this is her first hatch.
I do also have a few more babies I was hoping to slip under her to try and bypass the whole brooder and flock introduction hassle.

Attachments

• IMG_4642.jpeg
    IMG_4642.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_4641.jpeg
    IMG_4641.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
In a few weeks, it won't matter as the chicks will be feathering out and the ambient temps should continue to rise.

I, personally, would not let a bantam raise more than 4 LF chicks and I don't let them do that until later in the year. But my bantams are a d'Uccle and a Sebright.

In a few weeks, it won't matter as the chicks will be feathering out and the ambient temps should continue to rise.

I, personally, would not let a bantam raise more than 4 LF chicks and I don't let them do that until later in the year. But my bantams are a d'Uccle and a Sebright.
Oh yes she’s a lot rounder than those guys lol. She’s handling her 8 extremely well and is able to give them full coverage when they want it.

I do have an area where I can plug in a heat lamp for supplemental heat at night for mama and babies. I don’t really have an area to safely have a brooder right now which I why I’m trying so hard to make sure mama can raise them.

I would not do that. Give her an area with lots of fluffy dry bedding and she'll spread her wings over them if they need it.
Alright I can definitely do that. She currently is kept in a medium sized kennel with lots of hay to keep the area warmer. We let her out in a run with a few other pullets, but the rest of the flock can’t get to her. On really warm sunny days (60 degrees or more) we open the doors so she can take them outside. But for the most part she cuddles in the nest and eats from the feeder that’s only a few inches from the nest.

I’ve included a couple photos of her successfully sitting on a dozen babies. I will definitely have to put a few in a brooder as they grow lol. She’s seems to be doing great for right now until I can get a brooder set up in a week or so.

Attachments

• IMG_4705.jpeg
    IMG_4705.jpeg
    757.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4704.jpeg
    IMG_4704.jpeg
    796 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom