Bare bottomed barred rock and a buff orp with an issue

Follow the directions for mixing with water. Put in a pump sprayer that you use for spraying garden pests. Remove all bedding from coop and vacuum thoroughly, then spray down the coop, wetting every square inch, paying careful attention to cracks and crevices.

If it's below freezing where you live, wait until it warms up. It should be above 55F when you spray. You also want it to dry out before your chickens are exposed to freezing temps so the moisture doesn't condense on combs and cause frostbite.

Dusting is going to be unpleasant for all concerned. It's helpful to have an assistant to hold the chicken. Pay special attention to around the vent, belly, legs, feet, neck, and wing pits, working the powder in as close to the skin as possible, avoiding the eyes, and having you or the chicken breathe in the dust. It can be hard on the lungs.

This is one reason why I prefer mixing up a liquid dip. I dunk the entire chicken and there is no powdery mess or dust to breathe. But then you need to get the chicken completely dried before sending back outside. It's probably better to do the dusting instead of dipping if it's winter where you live.

It is winter here but in sc it doesn't get terribly cold often. I say that and only 2 weeks ago it was below freezing for days on end lol.

Well I applied dust to them but probably not as thoroughly as need be... how often should I do this? I don't anticipate being able to clear the coop and spray for at least another week or two. :/

I would dust again in about ten days. It may be possible to spray the coop by then. Permethrin doesn't kill any eggs, so you need to do it a second time to get any that have hatched.

Once warm days of spring are here, you will want to do another preventative application to chickens and the coop.

Back
Top Bottom