Best dog breed for me?

Xtina

Songster
11 Years
Jul 1, 2008
Portland, Oregon
I'll start this off by saying that I know an awful lot about dog breeds and their characteristics, and I'm thinking that there's no good answer for what I want for my next dog. Luckily, it will probably be years before I'm faced with replacing one of my dogs, so I have a long time to think on it.

After having owned my current two hooligans, I know what I don't want in my next dog:

No shedding
No uncontrollable barking but a good defender
No jumping
Easily trained/motivated. Wants to obey.
Medium sized (40-60 pounds)
Not afraid of any weather (heat, cold, humidity) so that if I ever have to move I won't have to worry about it
Not fearful or neurotic. No submissive peeing.
Medium to low energy
No drooling!

I know that looking at this list, it sounds like what I really want is a cat, or no pet at all...but I'm always going to have a dog or two, so I'm on the hunt for the best breed for me. Right at the outset, I think a medium sized schnauzer might be the best bet, but I know that mini schnauzers are awful barkers and I'm so sick of having dogs that bark uncontrollably. I know that some breeds don't do that. I want a dog that can recognize a real threat and let me know, like a person or raccoon on my porch, but also knows how to ignore the cat across the street and people walking their dogs past. I'm beyond sick of how the mailman is such a surprise to them every day!

Quote:
They make Disney cartoons that meet your needs.

Snarking aside, what you want is not a dog. Your list is what every soccer mom who buys a "mini labradoodle" brings to the breeder, and six months later her $3000 puppy is in rescue. It just doesn't exist. Every dog of every breed has a downside.

I hear you. But I have two dogs, and I've had them for years, and I know what it is to own dogs. I take the good with the bad. I used to be a trainer, I've seen a million families with a million different temperament dogs. I know that the variety is huge, and so I hold out hope that there's a good breed for me. I've never turned a dog out of my house to a rescue, even though my own first dog was so bad as a puppy I came close. I recognize that a dog is a lifelong commitment. And I'd never buy a doodle "designer hybrid." I've rescued two dogs from bad situations and I love them despite the things they do that I don't like. When the older one goes, the younger one is going to need a companion to replace him. My son's going to want a new dog by then too. And I like having two dogs...they entertain themselves and it's a lot of fun to watch.

So I know it's fun to criticize people online, but please remember that I said I know an awful lot about dog breeds and what it means to keep dogs. I've done it successfully for 10 years, for better or for worse, and despite overwhelming pressure from my family to rehome them. Rebbetzin, thanks for the suggestion...I think the Tibetan Terrier might be a little small! Even though one day, probably when I'm old, I'll want a whole herd of small dogs. Right now I want medium to large.

We have a great dog!! Spartacus, Cane Corso... sheds, drools, 150lbs +, protective, but, hardly ever barks (doesn't need to, just the sight of him is enough to intimidate most people.)
I am teaching him to read. (Flash cards, with common commands spelled out)

Oh, I love a Cane Corso. Very sweet, yet very imposing breeds. 150 pounds though, is more dog that I am likely to be a good owner to! I'm not interested in any molossers. You said it with the drooling!

Let me know how the reading goes...once he's good at it, I'll hire him to work for me. Make sure he learns typing too.

Last edited:
If you get a well-bred one, a poodle would fit most if not all of that. But you would be paying a pretty penny to find one that isn't poorly bred with how many are out there
sad.png

You need to take your list and split it into MUST HAVE and WOULD BE NICE. Is it more important to have a dog that doesn't shed, or a dog that is low energy? ETC. Shedding takes out most of the dogs that might fit your profile.

Back
Top Bottom