Best way to clean up feathers?

Jul 22, 2021
What is the best way to clean up all the loose feathers around the yard? I've tried raking them up but that just seems to fling them around more so I've resorted to picking them up by hand. It looks like someone broke a pillow in my yard, feathers get blown everywhere and when I clean the run, the next day looks like I hadn't done a thing out there. I'm glad this is a once a year thing but is there an easier way to pick up these feathers?

What is the best way to clean up all the loose feathers around the yard? I've tried raking them up but that just seems to fling them around more so I've resorted to picking them up by hand. It looks like someone broke a pillow in my yard, feathers get blown everywhere and when I clean the run, the next day looks like I hadn't done a thing out there. I'm glad this is a once a year thing but is there an easier way to pick up these feathers?
Shop vacuum for sure. Then embed them into the compost and cover it with something heavier

Shop vacuum for sure. Then embed them into the compost and cover it with something heavier
I have worms in my compost, is that gonna be an issue for them? How long do feathers generally take to break down? I'd just been tossing them in the trash, didn't know they could be composted... I do fish guts occasionally but mostly just veggie scraps.

I have worms in my compost, is that gonna be an issue for them? How long do feathers generally take to break down? I'd just been tossing them in the trash, didn't know they could be composted... I do fish guts occasionally but mostly just veggie scraps.
It won’t affect worms at all. It’s only protein after all. We live in Canada, so composting here is an art form I’ve learnt… layer layer layer. Not too thick. Couple inches at most. I even put used cooking oil on my composts in a thin drizzle. (It’s only vegetable after all ) I do have four large composts and rotate. I have layers of horse poop, twigs, straw ( never hay) black dirt, peelings, dog/cat/horse and human hair. Chicken poop and feathers in light layers. Cover. Keep it warm. As warm as I can get it, they get really hot in the summer and I hose then to stop them combusting.

It won’t affect worms at all. It’s only protein after all. We live in Canada, so composting here is an art form I’ve learnt… layer layer layer. Not too thick. Couple inches at most. I even put used cooking oil on my composts in a thin drizzle. (It’s only vegetable after all ) I do have four large composts and rotate. I have layers of horse poop, twigs, straw ( never hay) black dirt, peelings, dog/cat/horse and human hair. Chicken poop and feathers in light layers. Cover. Keep it warm. As warm as I can get it, they get really hot in the summer and I hose then to stop them combusting.
My compost after one year, if it’s broken down sufficiently, goes straight into my veggie garden. After two years, it’s amazing black gold. I couldn’t buy organic soil any better, anywhere else. And it’s free….

Back
Top Bottom