Best Way to Get Buyers for Chicks Before Hatching? Need Help With Selling Chicks

GlicksChicks

Songster
Apr 11, 2024
Dallas-Fort Worth, Texas
I do not know if this is the correct forum for this post, but I felt that it may suit my questions.

I want to sell chicks, but I also do not want to hatch chicks expecting them to sell and then be over-run by baby chickens that I cannot sell and cannot keep.

So my questions are, how can I get buyers lined up before I hatch eggs? What places can I go to so I can get potential buyers to contact me? Facebook does not allow the selling of animals anymore.

Also, has anyone ever sold chicks from a road side stand? I was thinking about putting one up next to the road in front of my housr and sell eggs and chicks. Do you think that would work?

New chicks need to be at 95F for their first week, so if you have an extension cord I suppose you could sell them roadside. Just have lots of small boxes.

Facebook poultry groups will let you post pictures of what you have and just say "send message if interested."

Here is one of mine for instance.

BYC has a https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/#buy-sell-trade.67 forum too, but depending where you are, Facebook might get you more closer to where you live.

New chicks need to be at 95F for their first week, so if you have an extension cord I suppose you could sell them roadside. Just have lots of small boxes.

Facebook poultry groups will let you post pictures of what you have and just say "send message if interested."

Here is one of mine for instance.
Keeping them at temperature shouldn't be an issue. I can do an extension cord and I am also in a place that gets pretty hot. I have made alot of small boxes to prepare for selling chicks.

I tried to make a facebook account for doing that and before I ever posted, they shut my account down. Maybe I can try again sometime in the future.

We recently started hatching this year (January) and have been doing Craigslist, local flyers and world of mouth. I tend to have them for a few days up to a week or so and then they get sold.

Don’t have local feed stores, coffee shops or other homestead businesses that will let you put a flyer up.

Hope that helps.

We recently started hatching this year (January) and have been doing Craigslist, local flyers and world of mouth. I tend to have them for a few days up to a week or so and then they get sold.

Don’t have local feed stores, coffee shops or other homestead businesses that will let you put a flyer up.

Hope that helps.
Thank you! I will try everything I can!

Also, has anyone ever sold chicks from a road side stand? I was thinking about putting one up next to the road in front of my housr and sell eggs and chicks. Do you think that would work?
I would be a little concerned about people buying chicks on impulse, without being ready to care for them properly.

You may be able to avoid problems by talking with the buyers about what kind of conditions chicks need. Maybe let them go set up a brooder and then come back after that to get the chicks.

I would be a little concerned about people buying chicks on impulse, without being ready to care for them properly.

You may be able to avoid problems by talking with the buyers about what kind of conditions chicks need. Maybe let them go set up a brooder and then come back after that to get the chicks.
I will be sure to do that. Hold the chicks for them until they have it set up!

if you live rural or semi rural just a sign out front 'free chicks' im sure will do it ..if not just plan to bring them with you to the grocery store or feed store and spend a 1/2 hour or so with your box and free chicks sign out front .. im sure youll be able to unload them quickly if theyre small and cute ... id be most concerned about advertising, people with snakes or other predator type pets look for things like that ..

if you live rural or semi rural just a sign out front 'free chicks' im sure will do it ..if not just plan to bring them with you to the grocery store or feed store and spend a 1/2 hour or so with your box and free chicks sign out front .. im sure youll be able to unload them quickly if theyre small and cute ... id be most concerned about advertising, people with snakes or other predator type pets look for things like that ..
I didn't know that I could sell them outside of a store/feed store. That could be good!

Back
Top Bottom