Bobwhite Incubation length day 25 question and a question on inbreeding

bbqsfarm

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 3, 2012
Have a couple of questions this morning.

I am hatching eggs from my first set of eggs laid by my own birds that I hatched last year. Today is day 25 so will let it run through today as I see a pipped shell this morning. How long should I really let it go? I have had chicks hatching since Wednesday. A majority have hatched but its kind of hard to tell how many are left that are not with all the activity. I have put part of the birds in the brooder already. (1 set 65 eggs but pulled 7 that I know for sure were bad or not fertile, I did leave in a few that were questionable)

Second is inbreeding a problem with birds? How often should you add new stock? I started with eggs from 3 different breeders so I know they are not related. I am thinking I can get through next year without having to add new stock. Am I on the right track or not?

I started with birds from 2 breeders last year brought in mature males from a third breeder this year. All of these should be able to breed each other next year with no problems?

Thanks for the help as usual.

Susan

Have a couple of questions this morning.

I am hatching eggs from my first set of eggs laid by my own birds that I hatched last year. Today is day 25 so will let it run through today as I see a pipped shell this morning. How long should I really let it go? I have had chicks hatching since Wednesday. A majority have hatched but its kind of hard to tell how many are left that are not with all the activity. I have put part of the birds in the brooder already. (1 set 65 eggs but pulled 7 that I know for sure were bad or not fertile, I did leave in a few that were questionable)

A lot of times the late hatchers will be weaker birds. They are usually smaller for the first few weeks. if they live they usually catch up in size, but I've never figured out if they are as healthy and thrifty as the other birds over their lifetime.

Second is inbreeding a problem with birds? How often should you add new stock? I started with eggs from 3 different breeders so I know they are not related. I am thinking I can get through next year without having to add new stock. Am I on the right track or not?

You should be fine for another generation and most likely two.

If you notice a drop in fertility, hatch rate, or egg production you've gone too far
lol.png

I started with birds from 2 breeders last year brought in mature males from a third breeder this year. All of these should be able to breed each other next year with no problems?

As long as you pair them up with bird they aren't fighting with.

How do you keep them during the offseason and how do you keep them during breeding season?

Thanks for the help as usual.

Susan

I've had lots of late hatchers recently. Threw some in the trash can two weeks ago after day 27 then walked by and heard a peep...looked forever for the escapee and then finally looked in the can. Had 6 more hatch. Figures they'd die but all remained strong after 24 hours in a trash can.

I keep them in colonies year round with a higher ratio of females to males in each pen, raised together since birth and out of the brooder. I have 8-10 birds in each coop/pen. My last coop that is going up now for this years birds is very large. 4 x 7x 9 walk in coop storage area with a 4' x 20' x 10' run off that, Old school bus shelter I was given and build a run off the side down the side of my barn building. The coop area is centered on my barn wall so if necessary I will still have the option to ad another run down the other side about 10' if I ever need it.

You might have a hard time integrating the new birds to a colony setup the way yours is. It is best when adding to a flock to move everyone to a new pen at the same time. That way no one feels like they have interlopers in their territory. You may have to keep a smaller cage inside your run until the birds are all used to each other, then integrate them.

Back
Top Bottom