can ducks make people sick?

drmeyes236

Songster
10 Years
Apr 13, 2009
ohio
I am not sure if it is just coincidence or not but all 3 of us have been having stomach issues starting about 2 weeks after we got our ducks. So can you gat sick from ducks?

Yes, you can get sick from handling baby ducks. As enola said, don't kiss them or put them near your mouth.

There are a couple different things you can contract the most common of which is Salmonella. When you mention stomach issues, I automatically think of Salmonella (which I had one time and it became pure hell).

If you have diarrhea, go see a doctor now. Don't wait. If there are any kids in the house having the stomach issue and especially if they have diarrhea, get them into a doctor immediately. If it is Salmonella, it can become very serious.

Any poultry,livestock, food etc can get you sick. My husband just went htrough this and we thought maybe the animals, etc. he had fecal test, blood tests, urine tests...nothing!

Could just be the flu but DO get checked out! We are putting a shampoo dispenser attached to our coop filled with hand sanitizer just incase!

well. My elderly neighbor thinks my dd and I have been sick because of our chickens. And EVERY time I go to the doctors they start to blame the chickens on my poor health.
I went three weeks ago with severe flu symptoms. At some point someone had marked in my file that we have a back yard flock. The doctor I saw immediately began with the "your chickens are causing your symptoms" crap. To which I quickly replied. "I dont know. There are 6 pigs at the farm I work on. And TONS of kids, not all of which are healthy"
I swear she was going to start to tell me that I had the bird flu and had gotten it from my chickens or the birds at work:rolleyes:

Children are what make me sick. Literally. When my brother was involved with working with children he was always bringing home some new and improved germ and I would get it. Now that he is not working with the kids, I haven't been sick in months and months!! I can work with germy critters of all kinds and never get sick. Get me within coughing distance of a runny nosed moppet and I'm done for.

Rhett&SarahsMom :

well. My elderly neighbor thinks my dd and I have been sick because of our chickens. And EVERY time I go to the doctors they start to blame the chickens on my poor health.
I went three weeks ago with severe flu symptoms. At some point someone had marked in my file that we have a back yard flock. The doctor I saw immediately began with the "your chickens are causing your symptoms" crap. To which I quickly replied. "I dont know. There are 6 pigs at the farm I work on. And TONS of kids, not all of which are healthy"
I swear she was going to start to tell me that I had the bird flu and had gotten it from my chickens or the birds at work:rolleyes:

i think i would find a new doctor's office. if they're going to jump to conclusions that way, they could easily miss it if something else is wrong.
i can't stand doctors who jump to conclusions without testing!
somad.gif
somad.gif
somad.gif
somad.gif
somad.gif
somad.gif
somad.gif

Back
Top Bottom