Can you give your chickens icecream to help cool them off???

CalebtheChicken

Songster
9 Years
Jun 5, 2010
Jeremiah, Ky.
My chickens are slow cooking! (pun intended)
Expecially the ones with black feathers. They all pant when it gets real hot.
They have anuff shade, and plenty of water, but they still look hot.
There's some old icecream in the freezer my dad said to give it to them.
Is it ok?

I wouldn't. I give mine frozen fruit, but Ice Cream may have too much sugar in it...I would think it would cause the bacteria in the crop to have a field day. But that's just my thoughts and I could be wrong.

Nearly all animals are lactose intollerant at least as adults but some from birth. They cannot digest dairy and really shouldn't be given it. I'm including everything even cats here. Some digest a little without problems due to bacteria in the digestive tract making up for the lack of lactase enzymes but even small amounts are not exactly healthy for them.

Quote:
I do this and they love it! I also make my own yogurt in the crockpot - so it's great stuff I know
smile.png
Then I do a batch in the ice cream maker plain for them and one with sugar for us.

I would say no to the ice-cream. Freeze 3 liter bottles of water and set a couple out in the shade when it starts to get hot. It helps by cooling down the area around the bottles.

I put 3 one liter bottles with frozen water in them into the 3 gallon waterer to cool down the water; the bottles are taken out in the evening and put back in the freezer to be used the next day.

Also use frozen milk jugs in the rabbit hutches and in Rubbermaid containers turned on their sides so the chickens can get in with them to have a 'cool' room. Also run a fan in the run.

I have the makings for frozen yogurt...just have to get the 'kitchen' time to put it together. Have some overripe bananas that they love that I can mash up and add to the yogurt...will check to see whatelse to add.

Sugar and salt are not good for us or our chickens. Unfortunately, I'm addicted to sugar but I try to be a good chickie mom...I have not addicted my girls.

Back
Top Bottom