Chances of repeating broodiness?

RebelEgger

Crossing the Road
May 10, 2020
Chester, Nova Scotia
My Coop
My Coop
Hello! I have an easter egger who dabbled in broodiness last July. I was able to break her by putting her in broody jail for a week.
I am wondering if anyone has any idea what the chances are of her repeating her broodiness this summer. Since she did it last year does that mean she's likely to repeat it this year or could last year have been a one and done?
I ask because last year I was not in a position that would allow me to have a broody and babies and room for everyone. This year I can accommodate them should she decide to do this again. And truth be told, I kind of hope she does.
I guess the only one who really knows is Berta and time will tell.

Attachments

• IMG_4428.JPG
    IMG_4428.JPG
    438.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4416.JPG
    IMG_4416.JPG
    565.9 KB · Views: 6
Yes, I think that if she went broody last year, she has a good chance of going this year. And mine tend to do it about the same time. I have several chickens that only do it once a year, but do it year after year.

Do put several golf balls in the nests. Sometimes that will help trigger it. Or let the eggs pile up a bit, before you collect them.

Mrs K

Hello! I have an easter egger who dabbled in broodiness last July. I was able to break her by putting her in broody jail for a week.
I am wondering if anyone has any idea what the chances are of her repeating her broodiness this summer. Since she did it last year does that mean she's likely to repeat it this year or could last year have been a one and done?
I ask because last year I was not in a position that would allow me to have a broody and babies and room for everyone. This year I can accommodate them should she decide to do this again. And truth be told, I kind of hope she does.
I guess the only one who really knows is Berta and time will tell

Back
Top Bottom