Chick minimum sale, RI

BobGRI

Chirping
11 Years
Mar 11, 2011
Hi, I was told by a local Tractor Supply Store that in RI they can only sell Chicks 12 at a time minimum purchase as per RI State Law. Is this really true? So if I live in a town that says you can only have 6 maximum chicks what do I do, Buy 12 and kill 6?
I know I can and most likely will just send for them or drive into CT and buy them. I'm just one of those people who thinks we have way to many laws. Most of them are a joke.

Thanks
Bob

Libertarian Party Member

I think those minimums are a joke. My local TSC just started this year with a 6 minimum, but 15 minutes away at another TSC there is no minimum requirement. Blah...I think it's horse doody!! Personally I would look up your state law, cuz 12 seems a bit high.

It's a law in many places but sometimes it's only a store policy. Lots of threads on here about this. Simple enough to work with another customer or two and buy the 12 then split them up.

Quote:
Well, Is the other Tractor Supply in Ohio possibly(I saw you were located in Indiana)?
Ohio's law is a 6 minimum(that is why when I go pick up from MT Healthy I need six//I live 20 minutes away from the hatchery). However, in Indiana you can buy as few as you want(I can go to the local Orshclens and get like... 1 chick if I wanted) . It has to do with the fact that people used to buy 1 chick for their kids at easter and they wouldn't know how to care for them and they would die. The minimum is supposed to prevent people from buying chicks for their kids on easter(or something like that. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong on something).

EDIT: Okay, I looked up where you live. xD No where near Ohio. Maybe it's just a local thing or store policy? Probably for the same reason though.

Last edited:
Quote:
whats the point anyway. the employees no nothing about the product they are selling. the product is hatchery quality at best. we have too many laws and too many offended people.

jimmy
tea party and libertarian

I did call 3 TS stores in CT. Two of them sell chicks 6 minimum. I could live with that even though 2-3 is all we need. I did find two local breeders. One I got from this forum and the other I found on Craig s list. The closest one I believe only sells Bantams but I'll call him a later. We really want standerds.
The guy at TS gave us the impression that he report any one who sold less.

Quote:
whats the point anyway. the employees no nothing about the product they are selling. the product is hatchery quality at best. we have too many laws and too many offended people.

jimmy
tea party and libertarian

Chill dude, I thought this was a friendly forum.
What's your point, That all TS employees are stuped? That was the first time I've had an issue there. Or maybe I'm stuped because I wasn't told that it was all because they aren't a pet store. Oh they can sell one duck at a time though. By the way his statement was ALL breeders including home breeders have to sell twelve at a time.

Quote:
Unfortunately know one at this time. We just moved into the country from the city and know one here is into it.
I did find some one that will sell 1 to what ever he has to sell.

Back
Top Bottom