Chicken Bedding to Help Prevent Mites

MaryH65

In the Brooder
Mar 11, 2024
I have had my little chickens for about a year and just lost one Chicken Nugget due to age and got a few more girls for Dixie Chick so she wouldn't be alone. Anyways, I am trying to find the best bedding to use in my coop to help keep mites away. I have been searching on line but am confused by the options. I am wondering if Koop Clean will help keep mites away? If not, what bedding does? Thanks,

Hiya, Mary, and welcome to BYC!! :frow

We use horse bedding pellets on the floor and nest boxes so that keeps it dry. Mites don't like dry. I sprinkle FG DE once or twice a month all over the place in there too. 7 years and so far so good! 20+ with my macaws.
Which horse bedding pellets? How can the chickens nest on pellets?

Which horse bedding pellets? How can the chickens nest on pellets?
You can get it at a farm store. They are about $8 for 40#. I use them in the brooder too. Yep, they sit on them.

Attachments

• Pellets 2.gif
    Pellets 2.gif
    55.5 KB · Views: 3
Welcome to BYC. Permethrin can be used in the coop and run to deal with mites. We've had them and my environment is extremely dry. It is safe to use on the chickens themselves as well. It didn't matter if I used pine shavings or the pellets. It's the same thing in a different form really. Pine. We still got them. Lice too. Try to keep wild birds out of the coop and set yourself a reminder to check over your flock regularly. I do it on the full moon. Extra light and it's a reminder without having to use an app on my phone.Good luck!

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow

I have never dealt with the standard northern mite, however I have been inundated with leg scale mites, tiny microscopic horrors. Drier the bedding, the better. Cool too, mites love the heat. I use permethrin alternating with a natural plant based spray on the bedding, under the roost bar, nest boxes...seems to keep buggies at bay. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom